Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fine Motor Skills

Hi, i'm trying to put together a IPP for a child in our pre-school. He won't go near a pencil, paintbrush etc and has poor fine motor skills.He is due to start school in september. I have done playing with playdough etc to improve muscles, threading, duplo etc but he has no interest in these toys but am desperate for some ideas to help him. He loves the train set, water play and sand. Has anybody got any ideas, dad is concerned and would like me to concentrate on mark making. My minds just gone completely blank, all i can think of is making marks in sand using your finger, could someone point me in the right direction. Thankyou

we had a child who would not go anywhere near a pencil paint brush ect sould very like the child you have mentioned we bought car shaped crayons from early learning centre. this helped him to join these activities we also made little task cards with velcro cars on them we then said had to join in one activiety we wanted him to do then he could do the activity he wanted usually cars we then increased the number activities he had to do before he had his activity this helped with our child i hope this makes sense

Thanks for that Marion, excellent, can you put it in the resource section when completed ( although good as it is).

Our children love using chopsticks to pick up pasta. Some use both hands to hold the chopsticks, concentration and hand/eye co-ordination. and others can use them with one hand. xD You can buy them seperate or joined( at the thickest end)

Plan around what interests the boy and ask dad why his concerns, is the child getting pressure at home to write?

Most of all make it fun ( which of course I on't really need to say :o )

Peggy

We have encouraged boys to access the writing equipment by setting out building bricks. We then provide them with hard hats, clip boards with pencil and paper. If he is interested in trains could you try doing something like the above with him being the controller.

What about using a paintbrush in a tuffspot with sand for mark making? Hide a train in the sand pit who can uncover it just by using paintbrushes.

I brought a set of Thomas the Tank crayons, pens, wipeable colour in mat, playdough cutters etc for one child who was T the T mad.

Do you use drywipe boards? These seems to appeal to those children who won't normally go near a pen.

Peg boards?

As he likes water play, how about washing dolls clothes/spiderman's clothes, squeezing out the water to develop the muscles necessary for fine motor skills, then pegging out on the line.

Excellent Marion. The CC where I am working part-time has these kind of activities as a small group focus activity for children who have havng particular problems with fine- motor skills. We take a small group of three children to our quiet room and 'play' using playdough, seeds, rice, sticks, tweezers etc. for about 10 to 15 mins depending on concentration. Only once or twice each week. It is proving very effective for most of the children who take part, and they enjoy the small group time with an adult so are happy to join in.

• 3 months later...

Hi Ya

Try using Zips for fine motor. another activity using a pipe cleaner for threading. Also hide some small or medium beads in a sand box and ask the child to fine them using a pincer grip - then on another time with some tongs. Make a sand cake in the sand and ask the child to place some straws for candles - just some ideas which may be a fun way to develop fine motor skills. Also try using a turkey baster and ask the child to transfer some water from one bowl to another one - squeezing will strenghen his muscular skills.

Hope this is helpful.

Maria

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)