Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Scared

Ok, so I'm going back to work on Tuesday. I've been off since 1st March. I'm really nervous and scared about going back and having to rebuild all these relationships with staff, with my class and to top it all off I've got a new girl who started 6 weeks ago.

I really feel for you, everything in teaching moves so fast. A couple of years ago I was off from November and went back the following May(part time for about a month before being back full time) It was really hard, i didn't know the children at all and had Ofsted 2 weeks after I'd been back full time. The behaviour of the children was horrendous - it was like September. I also had to fill in all the FSP data on children I didn't really know. Apart from the week we had Ofsted in, where I tried to pretend that I knew what I was doing, I just wrote the year off and enjoyed myself with the kids. I hope it all goes well for you on Tuesday, and like I said just enjoy it until half term and then see how you feel for the last term.

it's hard I know - I had may - january off once and going back was wierd, but talk to your head etc about the feelings, they should be supporting your return to work and ensuring it is successful. The children will be happyto seeyou anyway - you'll be surprised how much they'll have missed you I bet!!!

CX

Guest tinkerbell

Nichola

I feel you will be fine once you get back in front of the children.

Good luck Tinkerbellx

I was off most of last term and went back after Easter. Like you I felt really awkward ... more like a new starter than an long established member of staff but after about 10 mins felt as if I'd never been away. Having been away I feel I am more aware of things than perhaps I was before. It has really made me step back and re evaluate my practice and future so it has been positive in some ways.

Good Luck :D

it's hard I know - I had may - january off once and going back was wierd, but talk to your head etc about the feelings, they should be supporting your return to work and ensuring it is successful. The children will be happyto seeyou anyway - you'll be surprised how much they'll have missed you I bet!!!

CX

Sadly the head isn't in work at the moment. Her father is very ill, had a stroke and it's touch and go.

I wish I could say the kids will have missed me but because of the kids I teach, I'd say half of them haven't even realised I've not been there.

Thanks everyone. I've not been at the school that long and it is my 1st job in special ed so I just feel as I was just starting to feel comfortable in the job that I had this time away.

been off since Xmas.... went back a few days before Easter, and since Easter as usual, after one day it seemed like I had not been off....had lots of new parents to meet and children so it was a bit like a new year, give it a couple of weeks and you will wonder why you were worried.

Inge

Good luck, Nicola. I know how you feel as I was off work from beginning f December until April. The first day back I felt absolutely lost as the whole set up for the hall had changed and the morning routine was different, but with the fantastic support of my manager and the rest of the staff I soon settled in and the children were really pleased to see me.

Anita

Thanks everyone! I'll let you know how I get on. I know I'll get back into the swing of things very soon, it's just the unknown. I also have IEPs to write (now overdue) and 2 annual reviews to do within a week of me getting back!

Hi all, well I survived day 1. I was so nervous when I got to school. A few routines have changed (for the better in my view) so I felt a bit lost but I managed the day.

Only 1 of my class noticed that I was back/had been gone and kept checking that my 'ankle better, yes?' The others aren't able enough to put 2 and 2 together.

My class are a nightmare, but I knew that before I went off but sadly with a new kid and one of of them getting worse since I've been off (he was brewing before I went) it has meant I've had a very hectic day.

My ankle is rather sore and I've already had a 2 hour kip but it was good to be back,

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Well done Nichola, I hope today is a little easier, you will be exhausted by the end of the week, make sure you get your rest, sending you virtual hugs. :oxD

Edited by Guest