Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Pre-school

Hi all, very excited!!!!

Went to see the hall available to rent for new preschool it was lovely very large and clean, two girls toilet, 1 boys and a disabled toilet.

I have load of questions for you all if you could help me.

There wasn't much storage space about 6ft by 4ft do you think its feasible to store equipment at home and take it in daily? No equipment can be stored in the room as it has other users in the evening.

There is no access directly onto the outside area children would have to leave the building go round the side to the back of the building which is secure do you think this could be a problem when registering etc?

Other users use the building but the playroom is secure children only have to leave to use the the toilet.

The plus side is the minster and the lady who deals with rental are lovely and very supportive and have been very fare with the rent £15 first term £20 after per session

Thanks for any advice you can give me :oxD

Hello

I think you would make it a very hard job for yourself lugging in and out equipment every day - is there a space to put some kind of shed outside, you can get big metal container type things. I don't think there will be a problem with your outside play area at all - we currently have to walk outside and then to the church's garden, luckily our church has just agreed for us to build a patio directly outside.

The one thing I can see a problem with is if you have to share your toilets with others using the building - it would probably mean having every other person that uses it being police checked. Our church we great and cleared every body else out for us while we are open. Your toilets might be a bit of a problem.

Deb

hello

How lucky -you sound really excited.

I agree the storage sounds very small. With continuous provision - trolleys, tables, chairs, display units all take lots of spacethat before bikes toys etc. I would think very carefully about bringing bits in every day - it would be ok for a while but you would quickly find it strenuous, hard on cold wet days and you would never have that opporrtunity for spontauous activities or the bits you need.I know I would always forget something vital.

Can you speak to your local LA about the outside provision - i know mine want free flow for all new providers - see what yours suggest.

I also think an ouside shed or somethink sounds a good idea.

Good luck - with your enthusasium you will find solutions

wow exciting, but do agree with the others about staorage space, also about toilets you need to have sole provision of place whilst you are there with the children, great news about the rent though, make sure you find out about things like can you leave dispalys up, who cleans the hall and how often????good luck :o

we have to go to outside area as a group...we have a risk assessment of how we do it and covered all eventualities to show how we would manage it...

toilets may be a problem with sharing, but i do know the group in our local hall has to leave room to use them and while supposed to be sole use are not always and they are OK

Stuff from home, not really an option, I carry loads every day and that is just the paperwork, laptop and bits.

storage sounds insufficient.... especially if you need to put ALL away and displays need to be away every day.

Inge

Edited by Inge

Guest Wolfie

I agree about the storage issue - you really need to look at getting a shed/lockable unit to store stuff in outside if there's room and they will allow it.

Hi Hon, Congratulations.... we actually have a garage on the car park to our community hall and we have to set up the room each day and I promise you that it's still a nightmare carting it across the carpark... and their still is not enough storage space... I don't want to put a downer on your fab new project but storage is going to have to be a priority xxx

GOOD LUCK honey xx

Other users use the building but the playroom is secure children only have to leave to use the the toilet.

We were really surprised when we approached Ofsted for advice when an acupuncturist opened a clinic upstairs (we rent a village hall). We share the toilets with her when she's working upstairs, and were concerned about patients needing the loo before/after appointments etc. Ofsted told us there was basically no problem - we do have an accessible toilet for adult female use but handwashing facilities are shared. Obviously we keep an eye open and it does happen only rarely.

I guess it depends how many others are sharing your toilet facilities, but Ofsted said we didn't need to get them all CRB checked! Luckily our acupuncturist understands the concerns and has agreed to get a check.

Anyway, its such an exciting time - good luck!

Maz