Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Kent Earthquake!

Guest Wolfie

Guest Wolfie

I've just heard on the news that Kent has had an earthquake this morning measuring 5 on the Richter scale! Hope everyone is OK......I'm pretty sure that's where Peggy lives?

At 8:20 am we were awoken when our house shook, well trembled is a more accurate description. At first we thought it was a large lorry passing by but it didn't feel quite the same as that. Then we both fell back to sleep :(

It was only when we watched the news that we found out it was an earthquate, definitive measurement of 4.3 on the scale.

It appears that Folkestone, which is 17 miles from us, has had the most reported damage. Main damage reports are fallen chimney stacks and cracks in walls. No injuries reported as yet. Some areas of Kent have no gas / electricity or telephone, I don't think this is because the earthquake has caused damage, more likely that utility services have cut off supplies whilst they check for gas leaks etc. However, I think there has been one gas explosion in a house in Folkestone.

It is quite exciting to say we have experienced this phenomenom, but was quite scary for some people who felt the tremors more than us, and having to cope with minor structural damage to their homes. People contacting Sky news have spoke about how some children have been scared by the event so it will be interesting to hear what my preschool children say about it on Monday.

Hubby, seeing the lighter side asked me "Well did the earth move for you?" :(xD , and some other comments such as I really must see my doctor and get somthing done about my snoring :(xD :wacko: .

For those who have followed our Fostering story, we now expect the current carers of the children we are expecting to arrive shortly to demand yet another delay by stating the children can't come to Kent because it's too dangerous. :rolleyes: :unsure: beleive me, it would not surprise us if this is what they come up with. :o

Hope all other Kent FSF members are not too affected by this mornings earthquake and that your houses are still intact.

Peggy

Glad to hear that all is OK on the earth moving front with you Peggy. My OH is due back from France tonight, and the wife of the friend he has gone with ( lives near Canterbury) says that they are without power where she is. I did text OH to say that the earth moved in Canterbury but he didn't take me on xD:o:(

Well I hope all your visits go OK. The children should be with you ASAP as you are to be their long-term parents and that is that as far as I can see. Stability for the children should be paramount.

Glad to hear that all is OK on the earth moving front with you Peggy. My OH is due back from France tonight, and the wife of the friend he has gone with ( lives near Canterbury) says that they are without power where she is. I did text OH to say that the earth moved in Canterbury but he didn't take me on xD:o:(

Well I hope all your visits go OK. The children should be with you ASAP as you are to be their long-term parents and that is that as far as I can see. Stability for the children should be paramount.

'stability' being the key word there JacquieL, not very in terms of earthquakes, :( but very in terms of what we have to offer the children. :(

Peggy

gosh glad everyone is ok, we had one a few years back here in berkshire hubby and i woke up with it and hubby did the same ' did the earth move for you', we laughed went back to sleep then heard the next morning it had been an earthquake..... :o

Yep it was an earthquake, so much for my lay in this morning. Was woken abruptly to see my walls moving and my youngest screaming. It was all over within a few moments but really scary as I had no idea what had happened. Settled my girls and checked house, still no idea what had happened, no power so hunted for and found battries for radio only to hear it was an earthquake!!!!!!! Had to hear it a couple of times before I could believe it. We also lost landline so felt a bit alone, mobile kept coming up as busy but hubby finally got through to us to make sure we were alright, he's on ferries this week so he was really worried. Anyway power finally came back on 11ish, so all back to normal now. What a different start to the day :o Perhaps I'll get my lay in tomorrow :(

As Peggy said could be interesting at preschool Monday, note to self, find earthquake info and ideas just in case xD

We (in North Kent) didn't feel it. My son was staying with his girlfriend in Folkestone. Eventually got through to him. They were on their way to Thorpe Park so didn't even know it had happened. Still awaiting a phone call to know whether their house was okay. His girlfriend's parents are on holiday in Jersey, so I can imagine they might be panicking.