Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Slap Cheek

my four year old son may have slap cheek? I have never heard of this before and I am worried because my friend is pregnant .Someone said it could affect the mum someeone else said it is fine. Can anyone put my mind at rest. I have a docs appointment for tomorrow.

we have had a couple of children go down with this, i'm sure this clears up quite quickly, this is a red lace like pattern appearing on the child's face giving the apperance of a slap type mark hence the name.

Problem with this one is that by the time the rash appears you are no longer contagious and you pass it on in early stages without knowing. In children symptoms are often unnoticed as symptoms are so like those for colds and flu.

Inge

Edited by Inge

Is it also called Hand Foot & Mouth or Fifths Disease? Maybe I'm wrong....

I've attached a useful document we use for informing our parents. The hard copy of the full manual is at work. I'll try and remember to look it up for you tomorrow. It may be worth a call to the Health Visitor if you are worried.

Hmmm. Wouldn't let me attach it. It said this Steve, IPB WARNING [2] file_get_contents() expects at most 2 parameters, 5 given (Line: 442 of /ips_kernel/class_upload.php) & Tell administrator!

Thanks Lisa -

I've managed to find the same problem now, so it's not the document. I'll let you know when I've got it sorted, but you shouldn't bet too much money on it being sorted out this evening! :o

We had a child at school who came up with this and his teacher is pregnant. She had to have some tests done to see if she had the antibodies, but she did not... so there is a possibility of risk that she could have gotten it... and maybe not. We can only know when the baby is born :o. As Inge said, you only know that a child has it when the rash appears... but then the contagious period has past. Ah, yes... it is also know as the Fifth Disease. Welll, that is what our Head of Primary said and also my GP... but maybe it is different to "Hand-Foot-Mouth" xD .

Edited by SmileyPR

Hi,

When I was pregnant there was an epidemic of slapped cheek at my school, and I was strongly advised by my GP not to go to work, so I had my entire second trimester off!! I was told then that the only dangerous period is this second trimester. We are talking ten years ago now, and maybe advice has changed.

My nephew had this when I was 16 weeks pregnant. My doctor said I could have a blood test to test for antibodies but it wouldn't make any difference and I would have to wait to my 23 week scan to see if there were any problems. Fortunately after worrying for several weeks everything was ok.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)