Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Some Good News At Last

beth1

Ooooo I have some good news. :D My agency rang up today who have come in with an offer to work in a children's centre over in another town nearby. Initially it will be 2 week trial but could offer a long term position in childcare. :o I am starting next week around all my commitments, I am looking forward to it. :D

My luck seems to be changing, just hope uni are ok with it. Well a full time job better than sessional work me thinks. xD:(

Beth

Aww thank you everyone. Yes Shelley I am extcited about it, I am also a little apresehive (sp) as I am not sure which age group I am working in and if I make a good impression. Now if only I could remeber how to settle in to nursery on supply being one week 2 days and 4 days the next. :o

Beth

Great news Beth, I echo everyone elses good luck wishes. 2 weeks is a very short trial period, I would say not to worry about what age group etc, use the time to let everyone see that your personality and knowledge equips you to work with any age group. Let them see that you have so much to offer the centre then , AFTER the trial period discuss your other commitments ie: Uni etc because it will not be until after the short trial period that they will know that they will want to keep you. :D and therefore negotiate future contract hours that fits with you and them. :D:o

Peggy

Hi Peggy. I think they may aready know I am at uni because there is someone else working on the days I cannot go in. :o

I am feeling a litte nervious about it. I cannot decided which is the best to do as its a 2 week trial?

I am looking for some advice please, xD:(

I have thought about these 3 options:

Option A

Go in as a short supply like I normally do i.e. go in a get on with it.

Option B

Go in as a long term suppy i.e. go in and 'shadow' the others

Option C

Go in and do a mixture of A & B

TIA

Beth

Beth, I wouldnt do too much shadowing, they want to see that you know what you about about and can show initiative I would think? You could ask for some induction when you arrive so that you can fully understand your role or ask to shadow on the first day but I would be looking for someone who gets stuck in on a trial.

Guest Wolfie

I agree with Susan - familiarise yourself with essential policies and procedures ASAP - maybe take them home to look at after the first day? - and get stuck in!

Good luck! :o

Thanks Susan, thats excacly what I was thinking of but was unsure. :o I will use this, saying this I am unsure of my role as I have not been given much details from my agency. xD

Wolife I am unsure how to ask for the essential polices and procedures. I think this will become a long term supply position if I pass the trial period.

Beth

Edited by beth1

Guest Wolfie

If I were you, I wouldn't introduce any negative comments about anything, e.g. the agency - be as positive and professional as possible and demonstrate how good you are at the job.

Beth when I know I'm going to be somewhere for along time, I use the first few days to play and engage with the children while watching the routines so I can take part in those later. Things like laying the tables for lunch, preparing the paint areas inspecting the playgroud etc. I dont always read the policies and procedurees until I've been there for a while, and then only if I'm unsure of something. Most places work to a fairly similar policy when it comes to child protection, behaviour, equal ops, health and safety.

Use the time to sell yourself, think on your feet, come up with interesting time fillers and variations on an activity.

You'll do fine beth, be relaxed and have fun finding out about them. :oxD

Did you start today Beth? if yes, how did it go?

Agree with Susan and Rea, show initiative and have fun, engage with children and staff. :o

Peggy

Well.......I had a really good day, I started at 8.00am and went into the baby room until 9.30am lots of things went on i.e. set up, played outside and breakfast. Then I spend most of the day (apart from children's lunch & tea times and my lunch of course) outside playing with the children. I have met lots of children who suprisingly came to me (must have the knack) and make friends, we played all the time until it was time to go at 4.30pm. :o:(

I shadowed a little at first but I also used my itiative. xD Plus there is a tempoary job going at the moment too. xD Overall I really enjoyed working, the staff were very friendly and if I could I would work there all the time. Oh and there was a good game called 'how many cars can we park in the car park', it was build for 8 or 10 I can't remeber. :(:(

I can't wait until I go back on Wednesday althought I may have to park out on the road depending on the car game!

:wacko:

Beth

Edited by beth1