Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nappy Changing

HI

Due to needing more space in the room i have now moved the nappy changing table into the staff bathroom. There is enough room in there for it. Obviously the staff will not close, nor lock the door when changing a child (the door will be left ajar ~ so not wide open either) All staff who change children are police checked.....

i have two questions though....

Firstly is it acceptable do you think to have the children's changing area in the staff bathroom?

and secondly because i have moved the changing area into the bathroom both rooms (toddlers and tweenies) are sharing a changing area.(tweenies used to have one of their own, but it was far from ideal) so on our busiest day there could potentially be up to 24 children requiring nappy changing in the new area... now our routine can accomodate that many changes as Tweenie room and toddler room change their children at different times... but i wondered if it was an ofsted requirement or something for there to be so many changing areas per number of children,... ( i know they have regulations re number of toilets so wondered if this would be similar for nappy changing)

Dawn

I visited a nursery in Exeter who got an outstanding Ofsted. They have their changing table in the staff loo - and what's more they have to go out of 2 doors and down a long corridor before getting there. It's for mixed ages too.

They said it's not ideal but they were able to show how they maintained H & S and met ratios, so Ofsted were happy.

Try it and see.

No, wouldn't have thought so, because if staff want the toilet they can go in between nappy changes :D

Does this not compromise the staff's privacy?

A bug bear of mine this one...

we cannot open full day care because we cannot have a toilet which is solely for the staff use.... (this is our only stumbling block!!)

no children at any time ...

and there are places able to use staff toilets for children ...

ok changing nappies but still used for children...

Inge

we failed our because ofsted felt that changing the children in a purpose built nappy changing area joined on the room was too far away and effected ratio's. They wanted us to have a changing unit within in the nursery room.

we where also told before we offered full day care that there needs to be a staff toilet solely for staff use would your local Full daycare development officer at your early years be able to let you know what sort of feedback you could expect from Ofsted

Its really interesting to read views on this one, i have worked in a few nurseries and most of them have had changing areas out of the rooms...

I am slightly worried regarding maintaining ratios whilst staff are out changing nappies,how do other nurseires hnadle that?,

Dawn

I work in council run nurseries, all of them have nappy changing posts in the childrens toilets and if a achild needs changing ratio's arent considered. Each room has a door to the next and a window to the toilet area so maybe this is why, But even in the PDN's I've never heard ratios mentioned. Best bet would be to phone Ofsted and get it check :D

I completely agree . We put in a comlaint about the inspector because of a couple of other issues too but we never heard back. This was the main reason for us failing our inspection. we still have a room seperated for nappy changing and we had to employ a separte memeber of staff to cover the nappy changing! I work for a large chain of mainly purpose built nurseries all with the same set up and this has never been a problem before.

Guest Wolfie

We had a separate staff toilet but it was just one cubicle in the line of child toilets, not a separate room.

It seems to be another case of inconsistency in Ofsted judgments between areas and inspectors doesn't it? :o

In a nursery I worked in we had a staff toilet (with door) and then three toddler toilets and a changing unit. Is there space to either build around the toilet or nappy changing unit?

Ratios shouldn't be affected as long as ratios are maintained in the building - you wouldn't expect settings to have cover staff or for the manager to step in every time a member of staff changed a nappy.

How are you going to manage two or three children wanting nappies changed at the same time - are staff not going to feel under pressure to get children changed quickly and not make it a social time? Just my personal thought...

HI

each room changes nappies at differnet times, we also have a spare changing mat should we need to change two children at once. baby room also have a changing station so we could use that if necessary.

Dawn

How are you going to manage two or three children wanting nappies changed at the same time - are staff not going to feel under pressure to get children changed quickly and not make it a social time? Just my personal thought...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)