Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tonsilitus Again!

Hey hum!!!!

About three weeks ago i had a bad case of tonsilitus i felt so ill, took one day off work (felt bad for taking one day off) so retuned before completely better.

About a week ago i started to feel a bit ill, a bit more tired than usual, light headed and a few headaches, all the kind of things i typically ignore, or just put down to tiredness.

Today it came to a head tho and i felt awful (nearly fainted) so made an appointment at doctors, it emerges that i have tonsilitus again, but actually the doctor doesn't think it ever completely went away so it looks like i have had it for ages but just been living with it.... now it fits into place why i have felt so immensly tired for ages.....

long story short, doctor advised rest, at which i laughed...... hmmmm, yeah right, I am due to revise for and sit a maths and english exam on tuesday, as well as manage a nursery..... i told doctor this and she said in no uncertain terms that if i did not rest i would not get better, only worse.

Doctor gave me a sick note for a week. I suppose i feel okay about being signed off (kind of like i have permission to take time off now) yet worried that things will turn awful at work with me away.

My boss has also been a bit off with me, and was not impressed i have been signed of sick, i know its not ideal as i had one sick day about three weeks ago, and then another sick day in january, This year so far i seem to have been cursed with illness. we are short staffed and i know its extra strain for them, but sickness is unavoidable.

Im not the type of person to just take time of for the fun of it, and i hope my boss knows that, It just hurt a bit to hear him being kind of critical over the fact that the doctor has signed me of with something as 'trivial' as tonsilitus.... yet if only my boss understood how ill, tired and drained it is making me feel, maybe he wouldn't be so critical :o

guess im just feeling crap and sorry for myself LOL.....

so advice is to rest a week and return to doctors in two weeks for a check up, if no improvment could be time to have my tonsils out (hmmm more time of work ~ lets hope it doesn't get to that)

so i really must resist the urge to call into work and actually take the time to REST!....

sorry for my wine, feeling crap and needed to moan xD LOL

Dawn

Poor you Dawn!

What will be will be. Don't worry over what may or may not happen at work. It isn't something you have control over, so there is no point agonising. As for your boss, he was probably just grumpy because he knows that now he will have to arrange cover etc and was just taking that out on you as the nearest person around at the time. We have had (children and staff alike) continuing illness since before Christmas. There are some nasty bugs around and even the fittest and healthiest of us have succumbed. The important thing is that you get yourself better so that you are able to carry out your duties properly. It is all too easy to miss out important things if we are ill and when you are working with children, you really can't afford not to be on the ball!

Hope you start to feel better soon,

Oh dear do what the docs said and rest up for the week. Just remember a healthy person makes a better worker, I haven't got a clue where this saying came from must have read it somewhere.

Get better soon.

Beth

Hi Dawn

This is my first posting - so I hope it works out OK.

I get tonsilitus at least twice a year and I know how awful it is. I am sometimes totally wiped off my feet and feel terrible. I usually get antibiotics from the doctor and need at least three or four days off work. If I rush back to work too soon I usually end up with it all over again.

I have found (from years of painful experience) that gargling with salt and water or gargling and swallowing dissolvable aspirin is quite effective.

Hope you get well soon.

I used to suffer with tonsillitus all the time (when i was about your age)and there is no way you can work with it,the symtoms you have described are spot on,however i use to feel much better after 3rd day on antibiotics so hold on in there and take your doctors advise and have the week off :) Take care :)

It is about time you had some proper rest Dawn. You've had a lot on your plate.

I feel really cross at your boss for making you feel worse. Yes - it is always difficult in childcare if someone is off ill, and as much as we think "Oh god", when we get that phone call at 6:30 in the morning , at the end of the day we all want our staff to be fit and well. We have Sickness Policies in place for sick children, yet often these are pushed by the wayside when it comes to staff.

If I was off ill I would want my boss to understand, so I always tell my staff to rest up and take care when they are ill.

Childcare is hard work; non-stop; and physically demanding. It's not the sort of job where you can go in, slump at a desk, and do very little.

Somehow you have to try and swtich off. It's so unfair that you have been made to feel guilty.

You'll probably find that you won't want to go back after a week!

poor you Dawn, don't feel guilty just concentrate on getting better. Sending some virtual TLC your way :)

Hi Eden and welcome to the forum :)

Never had it but my friend used to and I saw how ill she was. Take care and remember, you wont get any more thanks for going to work ill or for worrying about the place when you're not there, so sit back and relax. Good luck in your exams too :D

Hello Eden,welcome from me too :D:D good job I've never had tonsilitis, I never learnt how to gargle and not dribble :o

Just wanted to wish you a relaxing recovery Dawn, all sound advice so far, so listen to it, won't you.

Hello Eden, welcome to the forum. :D

Hali, hope you sore throat doesn't get worse.

Peggy

Guest MaryEMac

Hope you are feeling a bit better now Dawn. Make the most of your time at home to have lie ins and early nights and try and forget about work (hard I know).

Welcome to the forum Eden.

Mary

Guest Wolfie

Does anyone know about this blue green algae "superfood" that's meant to boost the immune system? Does it work or is it just a fad? I saw it in Holland and Barrett! Just thinking about sore throats usually brings one on...I'll try anything! :)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the good wishes.....

since thursday evening i have done nothing but sleep :D Friday the most enrgetic thing i did was strip my bed and put the bedding in the laundry basket, doing that wore me out, and an hour later i needed a sleep (so tired i didn't make bed, just crawled into it) LOL..... slept for hours, woke for tea then slept again

saturday, woke late feeling a but better, went to have a nosey round town (for an hour) came home shattered, slept for two hours, went to cinema and low and behold fell asleep during film :o which annoyed me because apparently it was a good film.

Today again slept in, zapped of energy so spent hours finishing of reading my book. went to see a friend for a few hours, now shattered again... head killing and more white spots on tonsils (me thinks i should go back to doctors for more antibiotics....) oh the fun......

think i will start taking echinchea as i can't keep feeling this zapped of energy.... how a viral illness knocks you, its amazing....

Dawn

You may need more than a week off Dawn. Take care x

LOL. Can you imagine it Shelley, The director is already being off with me cos im off for a week. Its odd that actually i am getting amzingly cynical at him, its made me cross that he has been so rude with me.... do they not understand the extra work we put in whilst we are not at work... obvioulsy that counts for nothing when we are ill....

basically i have adopted the attitude that if he is being funny with me then tough, they have more to loose than i do (apologies i know that sounds big headed, but i am doing EYP (more stress) for their benefit not mine, i work my socks of (as im sure others do) to make my nursery a 'good' one, a place where children and parents and on the whole staff are happy, but that isn't recognised when your ill....... so this time i will take the week off and they will have to live with it.

off to the health food shop for some echinachea... and more painkillers.... White spots disapeared on tonsils now, just still very swollen and im so tired its a really odd feeling, and i don't do resting very well LOL, although am trying... have read a book in three days and avoided temptation to do anything nursery related at all.

Dawn