Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Top Tips

After being off work ill and reading lots of mags...just wondered if we should start a 'top tips' thread? We could have a separate home one and a school one to share quick tips of the trade if you think it's a good idea.

Here's a couple to see how it goes:

Home tip: Use the back of a teaspoon to put out your lit candles rather than blowing wax everywhere

Classroom tip: Make high displays something that can stay up most of the year such as high frequency words :o

Guest Wolfie

Sounds like a good idea! I'm also stuck at home, waiting for Autoglass.....went out for a family night out to celebrate our daughter's birthday last night and came back to find my car had been broken into, two windows smashed, stereo gone, real mess......aaarrrrgggghhhh! Autoglass said they could come last night if we were willing to stay up til 3am for them but we didn't think that would make us popular with the neighbours, so I'm waiting in all day today and two important work meetings have had to be postponed!

Sorry, I've completely hijacked your post and didn't mean to, I think your idea is a really good one and will now try to think of some top tips to add! :o

Edited by Wolfie

Oh No Wolfie! Sorry I've no tips on preventing such things happening! Aren't they mindless so and so's - it happened to me whilst I was in hospital -broken locks and stereo pinched plus everything in glove box so I know what you are going through if that's any consolation! It makes you wonder sometimes if the glass companies are doing the vandalism to drum up trade!!!

Edited by Guest

Home tip: If you like ice in your G&T etc. but don't like to water it down then slice lemon, lime etc. freeze slices individually and put in a freezer for when you need it. Lovely.

Classroom : Have an ongoing wall diary with pictures/photos , learning objectives, etc. work continuously from one end to the other and as you take it down put in a class 'Do you remember?' book where you pop things in transparent pockets. It saves lots of time ( fills a wall), and is there for parents/visitors/OFSTED and everyone to see what you have done/are doing and why? Once in the book it is there for the children to refer to and talk about.

Ice on chewing gum or if its on clothes put them in the freezer and then its meant to be able to crack it off.

Also cornflour on grease on clothes soaks up the grease.

olive oil on a pad to get off tar when you've been on the beach.

Oh I could go on all day !!!!!!! :D:o:(xD:(

I knew there was a good reason not to drink coca cola! Are you old enough to remember Blue Peter (John Noakes, Peter Purves....) when they put their pennies (old ones I think) in coke and also in brown sauce. They came out sparkling! What does it do to your insides?! :o

Did you know that window cleaner (the old fashioned pink creamy variety, not the clear liquid type) is absolutely great at getting sticky marks off things - like when you peel labels off glasses, etc and the "sticky bits" stick!!!.......Know what I mean??? :o:D

Sue J

Ooh, what a great thread!

Home tip:

I swear by Lakeland's e cloths for cleaning my mirrors (now also sold by Focus and probably loads of other places too)

School tip:

If you accidentally use indelible marker pen on your white board simply write over it with a dry wipe pen and it should all wipe off together :D

Did you know ...baby wipes are great for keeping leather suites lovely and clean and soft?

Apparently children's whiteboards come out really clean in the dishwasher! Never tried it so be warned!!!

PS I'm really impressed with how creative you all are...can't wait to try some ideas out...get me in the mood for spring cleaning!!

Edited by Guest

study tip: when reading / researching, write quotes ( that inspire, take your interest, are short and succinct etc) onto index cards with bibliography to access at a later date when you are short of quotes to put in your assignments. Sort / store cards alphebetically or by context.

Peggy

My study tip is...............when looking up things on line do NOT I repeat do NOT log onto the FSF :o

I'm sorry but that tip is IMPOSSIBLE TO ADHERE TO and is therefore void. xD

Peggy