Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Provision Of Soya Milk

Deb

Hi everyone

Wondered if you could help?

One Mum has just asked if she can bring in some soya milk for her child as she has been advised to try to avoid it for a while to see if it could be causing problems.

Just wondered, shouldn't we as a setting be providing this to ensure we are being inclusive? We provide cows milk although we don't pay for it.

Have any of you come across a similar situation? How do you deal with it?

Thanks

Deb

I never thought of doing that Inge! Is it allowed?? We have a little boy who has a dairy allergy but he tends to just drink water. Sometimes we buy the milk and then let mum have whatever is left over to use at home and then the next time she buys it and again takes home the remainder.

Guest Wolfie

Yes, we supplied goat's milk for a little boy whilst possible allergies/intolerances were being investigated.

No one questioned it, have receipts and would argue it if challenged, but all i did was claim for a set amount at the different cost. Milk man just added it to his bill when he delivered it.

Inge

Hi,

We have always supplied soya milk/yogurts etc and we cater for any other dietry requirements as part of the funding.

Fee paying children supply their own.

Net x

• 2 years later...

Hi,

we have a child coming in who is 'allergic' to cows milk (she gets eczema), she can eat eggs but not have milk, butter, milk chocolate (but can have dark chocolate) she can have 'bread sticks, toast and jam, party rings, pink wafer biscuits' so we will be able to cope at 'snack time' as we have fruit and water (mum says she only has soya milk on her cereal not as a drink) and she can have enough other things if we do not have enough fruit, but what do we do about BAKING?

Has anyone had experience of this?

This will sound really stupid but I suppose you can cook with soya/goats milk, there will be other alternatives to butter/margarine. I will speak to mum again before we break up. Has any body got any recipes that they use with the children?

Thanks - Cath

Interesting thread :o

We have a child who has to have rice milk but mum provides it! Mind you we have only very recently started providing milk but will see about claiming for his too.

Mum is more than happy to provide and is thrilled the child is drinking it! She has real trouble getting the rice milk into his diet at all but with us he is happy to drink it! I never thought of us providing it - oops!!

This will sound really stupid but I suppose you can cook with soya/goats milk, there will be other alternatives to butter/margarine.

You can use soya milk in baking as a straight replacement for milk. I could never tell the difference when my daughter had to have soya milk. I used normal baking margerine which didn't contain milk. Just check the ingredients.

This will sound really stupid but I suppose you can cook with soya/goats milk, there will be other alternatives to butter/margarine. I will speak to mum again before we break up. Has any body got any recipes that they use with the children?

We have a child who cannot have cow's milk or butter or margarine. We use Sunflower Pure spread (which I buy from whichever supermarket I happen to be in) which is soya based, both for spreading on toast and for cooking. We just substitute it for butter or margarine in whatever recipe we're cooking.

We also use dairy free cheese which larger Sainsburys and Asda stock.

Speaking to mum is the best place to start - she will have done all the investigative work for you and will tell you which products they use at home.

Good luck!

Maz

We supply all alternatives that parents request, as long as we can source it. Our newest one has been a parent who has heard that soya milk should not be given to boys aged under 4 and therefore her dairy intolerant son is now drinking 'oatly' - a milk made from oats. Until we can find where we can get it from easily, she is providing this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)