Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Epi-pen Training?

Hi all, I am new to this site but love it already :)

I am currently in the process of helping to set up a new neighbourhood nursery, i will be the under 2's department manager :D:D

I have been trying for about the past month to get hold of someone who could possibly deliver some epi-pen training to all of the staff as we are going to have a child with a very severe nut allergy.

At first I spoke to the child's health visitor who insisted that it was the parents responsibility to show us how to do it and cascade the information, I wasn't very happy with this so instead tried a few local hospitals and health centres but to no avail :o

I was then given a number of a nurse who went on to tell me that she only does community nurseries and LEA nurseries xD

I really can't believe that I am having to chase this training, should it not be readily available?? especially to a project that the government/Birmingham are encouraging so much

We are in Birmingham could anybody shed some light as to where I could possibly get someone to hear my plea.

I'm sorry to moan on my first post, next one will be happier i promise!

Thanks Cal

Hi Cal, and welcome to the site. Your first post of many, I hope!

Have you tried your EYDCP Inclusion officer? As inclusion is such a hot issue at the moment, if you voiced your concerns about having this child in your nursery unless you all received training, I'm sure they'd find a way! A bit like blackmail, I know, but sometimes you have to resort to such underhand ways :o

We have had several children with epi-pens. The HV should have found someone who can deliver training so i would try again. Our last training session was delivered by someone from the Healthy Schools' team.

Hi there Cal, welcome on board, and thanks for posting.

I am also in Birmingham and when we went through this trainng for one of our children, Im sure it was done through the school nurse. We all received certificates as evidence that we had had training, and under no circumstances should this be left to the parents to show you. (even though it is really simple)

If the health visitors are not helping, I would do like helen suggests, try EYDCP. After all, without training you are not allowed to administer, therefore you should not be taking the child on, which is an inclusion issue.

Hi Cal & welcome in,

sounds like an exciting challenge you are undertaking if a little fraught at the moment.

We had epi-pen training from the school nurse when we had a child in school, but as your children are under schoolage, I think they still come under the remit of the Health visitor?

Could you try the the Health Authority?

Susan

hi , my son needs a epipen and his pre school were trained by the anaphylaxis campaign . i was given their details by the leicester royal infirmary.you could contact www.anaphylaxis.org.uk for any contacts in your area.they actually visited the pre school and trained everyone as a group. lewis is at school now and the school nurse has re trained the staff(they were trained last year for another child)so i agree that you should contact the health visitor again.i`ll check my info for any other contacts.

We had a child with a severe nut allergy and epi pens. Our health visitor came with the community nurse and trained us all. They also gave us a draft of a policy & procedure to adapt/adopt. We also have a very helpful pediatric sister from our local hospital who trains for St. John's who will train too. Can't understand why something so important is so hard to access in other areas. The child will have a named consultant who may be worth contacting in the first instance. They will presumably be keen to see people as trained as possible?!

Just remembered we had to supply documentary evidence of training to validate our insurance. No extra premium was payable but we had to have a consent letter from the parents plus a letter from GP saying we were trained.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)