Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Who's Property?

I use a regular person for supply cover ( financially unable to offer a permanent contract)

discussing with daughter today the fact that she keeps a daily diary, her choice, I didn't ask her to do it. She is a lovely lady, EASL, and her notes are quite basic, what she did during the working day, which child she helped etc, not actually that reflective but I was impressed that she decided to do this record for her benefit. However, we came to the question 'Who's property is it, for example, should she leave the setting in the future?'

She writes them in her own time but has asked my daughter (and me) for feedback on it during work hours.

I'm thinking observations are the property of the setting, as are any comments on children. I will of course remind her of confidentiality policy but should she leave, ( not that I think she will in the near future) would I be in the right to ask for her to hand her diary notes in to me? :o

Peggy

Staff/student reflective diaries, how are these stored with regard to data protection???

Are names used ( identifiable comments)?

Our students often do reflective diaries for their course work or for NVq evidence, in this case they are just that about themselves and what they did, no names or initials just girl or boy reference or child 1 child 2 etc. are used and in the case of working with a child it is in very general terms as to what was needed, no direct observations and we read sign and discuss them to ensure that the contents is completely confidential. This is the property of the student or staff member.

As to whether you can ask for it if she leaves, tricky one,I think it may depend on the contents of the diary and some discussion as to confidentiality as suggested , perhaps some help in making a reflective diary and how it should be used, we have to do this for the students who are told to do one but not how!!

Sorry didn't really answer the question, a good politicians answer :D

Inge

Any obs (e.g. formal, post-it's) done of specific children during working hours are certainly the property of the setting as the person has been paid to do these (just like all planning etc has to stay at school if you move on as it has been done in PPA therefore you have been payed to do this and so it belongs to the school). However if this lady is doing notes off her own back outside of working hours then I presume they can not be child obs as these would need to be carried out at the time therefore I would think they would belong to her. However if you are worried about confidentiality then you could have a word and ask her to use intials of children rather than there full names.

If she has permission of the parents to do the obs for course work I would have thought they are hers. If they are done for any other reason without parents permission I would have been inclined to say they belong in the child file.

and belong in the setting.

• 1 year later...
I use a regular person for supply cover ( financially unable to offer a permanent contract)

discussing with daughter today the fact that she keeps a daily diary, her choice, I didn't ask her to do it. She is a lovely lady, EASL, and her notes are quite basic, what she did during the working day, which child she helped etc, not actually that reflective but I was impressed that she decided to do this record for her benefit. However, we came to the question 'Who's property is it, for example, should she leave the setting in the future?'

She writes them in her own time but has asked my daughter (and me) for feedback on it during work hours.

I'm thinking observations are the property of the setting, as are any comments on children. I will of course remind her of confidentiality policy but should she leave, ( not that I think she will in the near future) would I be in the right to ask for her to hand her diary notes in to me? :o

Peggy

Staff/student reflective diaries, how are these stored with regard to data protection???

Are names used ( identifiable comments)?

I have uneasy feeling about this . Does it benefit her in her work doing these notes and if you feel unhappy ask her to stop. It is her property and if she left she will take them with her. All my staff write notes on children but it is shared and put into Roas. You could suggest she writes them on post it notes and shared with the key workers then you have the info back in your hands. Lyndy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)