Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Professional Books Working With 0-3?

beth1

I already have working with babies and children under three by Anna Duffy etal which I have read and keep referning to it when neccearry.

I was wondering which books to look at and maybe buy for college/working in the creches?

Which books would you recommend and why?

I am also intrested in books which will make my skills look better for example tresure baskets.

TIA

Beth

developing play for the under threes ( cant remember the author but will look it up for you)

people under three young children in day care by Eeanor Goldschmied ( dont think spelling is right on that)

Heads-up Lookers and Communicators: Stage 1: 0-8 Months

Sitters, Standers and Explorers: Stage 2: 8-18 Months

Movers, Shakers and Players: Stage 3: 18-24 Months

Walkers, Talkers and Pretenders: Stage 4: 24-36 Months (Little Baby Books by Sally Featherstone

Progression in Play for Babies and Children series

any of the Little books as they are full of great ideas

There is a book i saw for B23 in the Early Excellence Centre in Huddersfield recently, its looked really good and its available to buy for £20 along with some FS books on this webpage:

Here

I have seen some very similar pages on this forum.

I would be interested to know if it is as useful to have as it looked from anyone who actually bought it.

Thank you for your ideas.

Sally Feathersones look good but expensive and not avaiable to get hold of at college.

Alis2son if you don't mind me asking, where do you come from? It is the early exellent centre up in Outlane Huddersfield, if so how do you go about visiting the shop there? I have been there in the past around 4 years ago and liked the place.

Beth

Edited by beth1

hi, Im in Knowsley, You can get the details online,

Here

Just phone up first to arrange a visit. They show you around and then you can buy from the shop.

I was disappointed that their website didnt allow buying online, but having seen their laminate sheets, and spoken to the people that run it, they dont want anyone copying their idea. you cant even take photos of the layout! But you can take notes and draw pics, so I would advise taking a pad and pen!

Oh and Vat is not included in the price you see! :)

Hi I was looking at the Feathstones books they look good but theres not a lot of description. So please could you tell me more about them in particular the little baby books and development stages?

Thanks

Beth

The Featherstone books are very practical with lots of good ideas

"Heads-up/Sitters, Standers /Movers shaker/ Walkers Talkers" contains all of the "Little Baby Book" activities that have been written specially for children in Stage 123 and 4 of Birth to Three Matters. Divided into the aspects of the framework - "A Strong Child", "A Skilful Communicator", "A Competent Learner", "A Healthy Child" - and their components, each section is colour coded to make it easy to see where each activity helps the development of babies.

The "Baby and Beyond" series. The focus is on progression in play for babies and children. This book uses simple, natural resources to offer experiences and ideas for each of the four development stages of the Birth to Three Matters Framework, and extending these into the early Stepping Stones for the Foundation Stage. "Baby and Beyond" books make ideal resources to support progression in learning.

The Little Book series is also lots of practical activities with background information for use with slightly older children

I agree with everyone else, the Featherstone books are great and well worth the money! :)

Edited by Wolfie

hi, Im in Knowsley, You can get the details online,

Here

Just phone up first to arrange a visit. They show you around and then you can buy from the shop.

I was disappointed that their website didnt allow buying online, but having seen their laminate sheets, and spoken to the people that run it, they dont want anyone copying their idea. you cant even take photos of the layout! But you can take notes and draw pics, so I would advise taking a pad and pen!

Oh and Vat is not included in the price you see! :)

If you are just going to the shop, you don't have to ring in advance, but if they have a training course on and you are there at break time, it can be quite busy!

I've always gone about 3.30 on a weeknight and it's been quiet...which usually means I spend longer there and spend more money! :D

Well I have been looking at the books from Sally Feathstone, they are cheaper on Amazon with bulk buying books 1+2, 3+4 in pairs and the B23 poster. I will have to see how much money I have before the end of this week so I can buy them. Although I feel that book 4 could be off much use but then it would come to nearly £50 plus free P+P or just over £35 plus free P+P without book 4.

Beth

Ooo silly me I have just order the following from Amazon:

Birth to Three Development Stages poster

Stages 1, 2 and 3 of little baby books Right From the Start (could not get hold of stage 4 book).

All by Sally Featherstone.

All this costed £36.01 with free delivery. Less than her own website, saying that Amazon as up to 40% on some books. These ones where 34% less than normal.

The order will not be here until early next week. So it will be happy reading for me next week, thank you for all your advice much appriactied.

Beth

Good news Beth! I personally love Amazon for ordering my books from and I use them for absolutely everything from college stuff, to birthday/Christmas presents.

Enjoy the reading!

• 1 month later...

hi new to thr forum so here goes my first reply. I am studyi ng with the LOndon met uni and my module at the moment covers birth to three. the core text books i have been using is Key times for play by Julia Manning-Morton, people under three by elinor goldschmied, birth to three matters by lesley abbott, advance early years care and eduaction ed by lain macleod-brudnell and the birth to three matters: a review of the literature can be down loaded from the internet research number RR444 hope this helps :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)