Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Handwashing And Snack Bars

I have children from 1 to 4 years integrated together, and would like to have a snack bar. That in itself is not too much of a problem, but what can I do about handwashing? I cant allow free access to the toilets as it would not be safe for the tinies, and the same with leaving a bowl of water out with paper towels - any ideas?

I would not be happy with children all using one bowl of water even with paper towels, as what will lurk in the water for the next child to pick up.

We have done a glitter experiment to show this by one child having a small amount of glitter put on hands shaking hands or touching hands with another to see transfer etc then wash hands in a bowl of water, where do the 'germs' end up

We are lucky t allow free access but I know others use the hand wash or gel mentioned, we have it for after outdoor play particularly after the snail or worms explorations, we do not find it over expensive, got ours from local supermarket.

Inge

We had environmental health in about 2 weeks ago about an outbreak of winter sickness bug and he avised us that the gels and antibacterial sprays should not be used to replace handwashing. They were only to be used if no handwashing facilities were available at all !! ie out on a trip etc. He said they were not effective enough.

One of the main reasons why we abandoned a snack bar in our Nursery was concerns over hand washing.

I would not be happy with relying on chemical hand wipes - cost, member of staff at hand to ensure they're properly used, children with eczema, unnecessary waste etc.

Hygiene awareness is SO important in an environment where there are lots of children working outdooors and indoors every day.

J

It's interesting that the environmental health don't advocate a method which is used repeatedly in hospitals and care homes to avoid cross-infection between patients!

I use gel cleansers on trips out.

Its 99p for a small bottle in Asda.

i also use the asda gel wash and with our snack bar we have a a metal board all the children have photos with names on and when they have there snack they place the picture on the board so we can monitor that all the children are having a snack this also works for self registration in a morning children find there picture and get it out ready to place on the board when accessing there snack. This seemed to impress ofsted if this is any help.

I would agree that the handwash gel is only a substitute for handwashing if soap and water are not available (ie on a recent visit to the farm before we washed our hands on return).

My sister in law, who is a community nurse, encourages her staff to wash their hands with soap and water first, then use the gel.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)