Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pattern Role Play?

Hi peeps, trying desperately (and failing) to get all my prep done at this end of the week and we've made a last minute change to what we normally do to 'pattern' Yes of course the wonderful SueR has provided me with some ideas (thanks Sue) in her article but my brian is fuzzy and I'm not sure what to do for role play.. anyhting lend itself particularly well to this theme?

Im also looking for stories...beyond the mum and dad make me laugh and Elmer of course.

I had thought of picking any story that had a repetitive text (patterned text!) but also wanted some stories about patterns.

Thanks

Vaguely recal a story called 'Pants' (I think) very funny about different patterned pants. :o

In role play I have previously done a 'House Invaders' type theme, basically cover the walls with reverse of wallpaper and the children sponge painted different patterns, circle, square, circle, circle, square ( using different colours as well as shapes). Looked very effective. :D

Maybe children could create place mats using pattern, then laminate ( avid fan of laminater, I am)

Not role play, but we have been out for 'pattern' walks, drain covers, diamond style fencing, zebra crossings etc.

Have fun and well done you for being so well prepared, knowing me I will do planning at midnight o'clock next Sunday xD , but you have inspired me to get it all out the way this end of the holiday.

Peggy

Pants is great - it's by NIck Sharratt and Sue Heap - my personal fave line is..

Hairy pants, fairy pants... run away from scary pants!

I must admit the jungle leapt to mind for role play with patterns - lots of animal patterns, symmetry of butterflies, the creepers, leaves and flowers, mini-beasts with patterns of spots and strips etc

What about a jungle or zoo and looking at patterns on living things and camoflage? You could do a garden centre and design company and fit it in with spring, growing and patterns in nature. Or what about a decorators shop with different wallpaper designs, paints, etc. or a builders yard and office could be another one looking at pattern in buildings, bricks, tiles, windows, paths, gardens, and you could design mosaic tiles and make pictures? I think that Gaudi lends himself well to this topic with his work made up of lots of broken tiles, so they could design tiles for their buildings with lots of little squares of paper. You know the sort of thing, repeating patterns etc. in number.

How about a fabric shop? You could creat your own fabrics with paints and pens for your dressing up area. I once saw some childrens suits made from the kind of stuff forensic teams would wear, dont know how much they were but they were designed to be decorated by the children and used in role play. They were probably in one of the main catalogues. :D

thanks for you ideas....keep em coming.

Id forgotten about pants..Im sure I have it somewhere.

WE usually do 'cafe' at this time since we have just done farm/animals and usually go onto food from around the world, but since I am going ful time (aggghhhhh) for 6 weeks I fancied a change (not my class either I'm essentially covering it as the person who was going to do it has sadly fallen ill at the last minute) and the option was err me..or me... or a mish mash of inexperienced supply teachers, and with the big O looming, it was agreed that 'me' was a better option... hmm beginning to regret that decision..).

I need something quick to set up that the children can be involved..

I know not everyone likes to use food stuffs but how about using veg and fruits to print. Make a menu using them. Decorate the cafe with veg prints, look at wallpaper with food patterns on. :D

what about telling mary medlicotts Sun frog Moon Frog?

It has a pattern of jumping,blinking,licking (think ive missed one out)then a beautiful rainbow appears at the end(colourful scarf)

Dont have it here but have told it many many times just cant remember (feeling poorly typical end of term) Somebody else might help if not will try and remember later :)

What about the story 'My mum and dad make me laugh'

I think that is the right title. Mum likes spotty things and dad likes stripey things and the little boy likes everything to do with elephants. You could have a role play area with lots of spotty and stripey or elephant things in and they could be sorted into belonging to mum, dad or the little boy. Just a way to introduce different patterns into conversation whilst playing in the role play area.

Or you could just have a dad's room or mum's room

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)