Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Noise Level

hi everyone really need your good ideas.I am pulling my hair out.We are running pre-school sessions for up to 26 children with 2 children who have sen and are supported on a one to one basis.There are 5 staff members including myself and the 2 one to one support staff.in the last week or so the noise level seems to have gone through the roof.We operate free flow between indoors and out for the majority of the session.staff are already concious of not over using their voices so its not that.Any ideas?Please help.

bookworm

Guest MaryEMac

I use a bell and start very quietly and get louder as required. They know that Mary has had enough when she gets the bell out :o

Mary

We are having the same problem, and one of the local nurseries said that their's are very noisy too. Must be something in the air.

We usually switch the lights off in one of the rooms, which quietens them down, but recently as soon as the light goes back on they are noisy again. We have been out each day this week so it's not that they are confined.

Might try the tamborine or bell and see what happens.

Linda

i have a sign on one side is a print of a famous painting and on the other side is printed the word "silent" if the noise level rises too high the print is turned over to the word and all the children quieten down for a moment it works quite well

I worked in a nursery in America where they used the phrase ' inside voices'. we use that too and it seems to work. You need to approach the 'main source' of noise yourself and say it in a mysterious voice of course! Rose

I found using a bell effective to get their attention, making it like a game and gradually getting louder if they didn't stop straight away. Singing tidy-up songs helps at that time, as that was when I found it was most noisy. We had 'whispering Wednesdays' where everyone had to whisper, including staff. We also had inside and outside vocies and I opened my arms wide to show then how loud their voices were and then gradually closed my arms down as my voice went quieter for an inside voice. It is important, once you have their attention, to drop your voice to a just audible level, as that can have a calming effect. Mind you some groups of children just seem to be noisy and it's an ongoing problem with them.

BTW Hello Bookworm nice to meet you.

A suggestion I picked up on an ALPS course was to say 'clap once if you can hear me', then 'clap twice if you can hear me', then 'clap three times if you can hear me'. I sometimes use it if we are in a line and the line is getting noisy. Usually you have a few children's attention to begin with and others quickly catch on to what is happening. I think it may be designed with rather older children in mind, but my year R like it! :)

AOB

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)