Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Multi Lingual Documents

I made enquiries about having our info leaflets translated at the translation centre in Stockport-they charge something like £25 for 100 words. It was going to cost a fortune.

We now use Stockport's information that they put on all their leaflets (attached). You may be able to use something similar for your area.

Linda

Translate.doc

Can I ask why Early Years have advised you to do the translations? Do you have families attending your nursery who speak the different languages? If so, might they be able to help you with the translations in some way?

My experience of translation websites is that they translate very poorly, not at all gramatically! Would try and avoid this option if at all possible!

I think surestart or dfes or another site ( sorry it's late, and will find out) have information leaflets of the FSC in various languages but a whole parent handbook and policies would need to be individually translated as they are unique to the setting. :o

Peggy

How on earth can you translate your policies and procedures into all the possible languages that might be needed. It would probably cost the whole of your units income for the year. As Peggy suggested if you go on to the DFES site you can download directly the FS information to parents in about 10 languages - but sods law says it doesn;'t cover the one that you want at the particular time. But I do think its beyond the scope of most nurseries to have this done - took me enough hours to write it in English let alone get it all translated.

Niikki

When I worked towards PLA accreditation at my last nursery, we had to provide evidence that we knew where to go to get help with translating documents if the need arose - we didn't actually have to do it, which I argued was a complete waste of time and resources because none of our families at the time needed it, but we needed to prove that we could if necessary.

We had a chat with our early years consultant about this today. She said that with over 50 different languages, the chances of having the right one are pretty slim, we just need to know where to go to get something translated. Unless of course, you regularly have families with the same language attending your setting. then it would be a good idea to get policies etc translated into that language/those languages. Our first port of call with be our local Children's Information Service website or our early years consultant.

Hi Mantra lingua sell a welcome booklet cd rom which allows you to type in your policies and letters etc and then print out in 19 languages. There is a pre school or nursery version as well as a schools one. The Advisory teacher who gave us EAL training last week thought it was good although limited by the languages available. It might be worth a look at their website. They accept E learning credits too.

wwwmantralingua.com

(Sorry I don't know how to do a direct link)

I can also reccommend this school website that have great resources available

www.newburypark.redbridge.sch.uk

Hope it gives you some ideas

S

thank you so much I agree with all your comments and the ideas have been a big help will slog my way through as much as i can unfortunately the EDO we have is a nasty piece of work and likes to make life difficult!!!

I worked at a school with over 99% EAL and 'communication' was always an issue - especially when traditionally schools and settings sent out infomation by letter. For our parents and I am by no means saying that yours are the same, when we spoke to them we found that although they might speak another language, it is not to say that they can read that language or dialect confidently or were used to receiving infomation via a written method. I remember letters translated into languages after consultation with 'advisors' only to find parents feeling either more embarrassed that they couldn't read the letters or complaining rightly so that they were used to 'English' and often found a family member to translate it.

For me I found the best way to communicate was by talking - which I believe practitioners in FS do very well! Are you able to use a translator - if this is tricky are their any parents who would be able to take on this role (with obvious prior training about confidentiality etc) I know this isn't always practical but for things like policies etc could you plan to hold an open morning/afternoon or evening (we used to ask parents to stay after they had dropped children off in the morning).

I suppose from my experience I would have to really question what an advisor was trying to acheive - I know it all sounds very PC but I would ask how effective the translation would be for your parents. For some families translation may be great but for my parents it simply didn't work.

Clare I think you make a very vald points, we have very much the same experience, and we are very lucky that we have most of our languages covered (struggling wiht Mandarin and Pushto at the moment). But we do also translate a number of important letters as well, and some of our parenst do appreciate this. We have our FS parent booklet in 4 languages to date and we ask what the parents prefer, its probabaly a good mix of those who choose an English version and those that choose the one in HL. We also produced the booklet last year for a preant who was blind, on a floppy disk so that it could be 'read' by the computer.

WE have just filmed the staff doing all the sounds and actions to the jolly phonics for the same reason, giving them a sheet wouldnt mean anything

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)