Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Easter Hols 2008

Verona

I've heard that next year (2008), schools will have Good Friday (21 March) and Easter Monday (24 March) off - then back to school Tuesday 25th. They then break up for hols Friday 4th April ...don't have date for returning :o

I know that they are changing length of terms, etc but I don't think this has happened before - or has it?

Sue J

I thin it depends exactly where you are in the country, some LAs have gone over to the 5 or 6 term year and some haven't yet. I know mine is the usual 2 weeks, (plus an extra day for once), so we break up on 20th March and return on 7th April. It isnt unusual for the catholic schools in the area to have different holidays though.

I'm not sure what ours are, will check. It seems to me to be a good idea, when Easter is so very early, otherwise you get a ridculously short spring term, followed by an interminably long summer one!

Or am I being simplistic?

Sue

I think that was the rationale behind it, wasn't it?

It sounds as if we have similar dates here in Lincolnshire. Ours was one of the first to go to a 6 term year. The holidays have been 'fiddled around with' ever since. This is the first time they've done this with Easter, though, so it will be interesting to see how it works out.

Our too have a long weekend for Easter and then 2 weeks off later

6 term year here - we still have long and short terms, but have more terms finishing and ending mid week. and this is the first time we have had this for Easter.

causes lots of hassle when working out our term dates for funding, particularly as funding runs from 1st April to 31st March and terms do not.

Inge

Well I'm in preschool Wolfie, so it doesn't affect me quite the same as if I were in a school. And its impact, for me, is somehow mixed up with the 38 weeks of funding being introduced.

Some of the starting dates in September have seemed extremely early; some of the break-ups for the summer have seemed unreasonably late.

For 2 years there was a 2 week half term in October, which I think most of the schools liked because everyone got a chance for a late holiday! They said the younger children in school were healthier right up to Christmas, less tired etc. But the Christmas holiday was really short and some children hadn't got back into routine again after all the celebrations.

We found our younger children found it hard to settle in again after a 2 week break so soon after starting.

In 2006 we had 7 days - I think. 2007 will be back to 1 week!So they start back later in September, have longer at Christmas - maybe I'm being cynical but the only difference I can see for this academic year is the Easter holiday. And of course they're still called 6 terms, but we just have 3 funding periods which are still roughly equivalent to the old 3 terms.But then, my children are grown up, although my daughter teaches Year 1.