Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Step Should I Take First?

Verona

I have been told by a parent, that she is not happy with the way a childminder, who brings a minded child to the setting, talks to the child and handles him a little roughly, outside the building. We have not witnessed anything ourselves so it is only hearsay. We are going to make a point of looking outside just before we open but as there as so many children coming in we more than likely won't see them.

What should I do first if I don't actually see anything myself?

Sue J

Hi Sue,

Personally I would do nothing other than file it away for keeping in mind, unless I actually see something - hearsay is no basis for complaints! Obviously you will be concerned, but you aren't in the business of gossip-mongering, which this could potentially be.

Sue

Agree, this really is a problem between childminder and parent, unless you have seen anything yourself there really is nothing to do except perhaps record the parents comment to you for your records and be aware of parents concerns, observing when possible child and childminder, when collecting or dropping off.

Inge

I wouldn't get involved as the child is not in your care at the time of the observed 'incidents'.

However, you could tell the parent that if they are concerned about the care the child is receiving, they have a right to complain to Ofsted and then it is in their hands.

You can't comment as, like you say, it is heresay, but if the parent has genuine concerns, she can contact Ofsted anonymously.

Thank you for your replies. I will speak to the parent who brought it to my attention and tell her what she could do herself. We will also keep an eye on the minder when she is on the premises and make a record of the comment that has been made on our files.

Thank you

Sue J

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)