Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sitting And Listening

Our nursery children are being asked to sit ,all be it for a short time ,for an "assembly" because "they need to learn how to sit and listen" Can anyone direct me to some evidence to support the fact that this is one of the hardest things to ask a just 3 year old to do.They do sit and listen to stories etc but not with the learning intention of "sitting and listening"

I'm sure that there must be something written in the Guidance for the Foundation Stage - maybe in the principles bit at the beginning - about the ways in which children learn best and what is appropriate for a three year old? I'll try and have a look after tea....but then again it IS Friday night so I might delay that to "over the weekend"!!! I agree that it is not good practice at all!

A quote from the QCA training support framework for the Foundation Stage 2000 might be just what you need

" If you are experienced, you will already know too well how energetic and physical young children are: their bodies are developing rapidly and they need to be active. It is actually painful for them at this stage of development to be still for long periods."

Goodness how inappropriate. Well the accelerated learning brigade say that a child can listen for it's age in minutes plus or minus two. I think that they have got that about right. Our nursery children used to join assembly once in a while but they sang a song or brought something they had done and then left quickly once they had shown it. Get your Advisory Teacher in if SMT won't listen to you.

Children do need to 'practice'/develop their listening skills, along with their other senses, but would suggest a walk outside to listen to bird song, aeroplanes etc rather than sitting in on an 'assembly' for too long.

A verse springs to mind which I can't actually remember well enough to quote... but something along the lines of.....allowing a 2 year old to be a 2 year old, a 3 year old to be a 3 year old and a 4 year old to be a 4 year old is the best way to prepare for being a 5 year old. - someone will know which quote I mean :o

Totally agree, assemblies are innapropriatte to develop listening skills, the 'audience' age range is too vast to allow for young 3 yr olds to remain interested and motivated, thus making it a quick way to learn how to dislike learning.

Adult University degree students can only hold attention for 20 minutes in a lecture theatre, and they have had many more years of practice. :o

Peggy

During one of my daughters watching assemblies I'll always remember one little girl getting up and saying 'I'm going back to play with the cars' and of she toddled followed by the nursery nurse.

After that the nursery children never joined the rest of the school for assembly again, I think the nursery staff were overjoyed.

Karrie

We have to go to assembly in Reception and the children hate it. It puts me in such a difficult position because I try to do everything possible to ensure that the children are learning in an active way and are being motivated and interested in all ways and then contradict myself in the children's eyes by taking them to a whole-school assembly with dry stories read to the children aimed at 10 and 11 year olds! Have argued with my head over and over again about it, saying it was inappropriate for the children and my Head turned round and said 'sometimes children have to do things that are inappropriate for them." - What??? Why???

My reception class have to attend assemby every day. I think once or twice it's just lower school, but otherwise we're in with the 11 year olds - they get so bored. It's not so bad when it's a singing assembly, but even then, because Y6 are in, they're fairly complex songs and the words are up on the projector for them to read... :o

• 2 weeks later...

What a waste of valuable time when they could be more involved in their learning. How many times a week are they expected to do this? Is the assembly aimed at their level? if not and they are expected to attend why not?

I do not attend assemblies unless it is a rare and special occasion and there is something that is happening pitched at the kids level.... for example a creative story teller

Could you speak to your head and say how worried you are that is ofsted come in how will you be able to justify this time...it may possible do the trick. Also speak to your EY advisor about your concerns. Maybe after a few have had wet accidents or shout and scream they may change their minds

I am always telling our parents "it is physically painfull for a young child to sit still" I was told this sooooo long ago at training / collage but couldn't remember who or where the quote was from! Thanks Marion as I was sure I hadn't dreamt it!

:o I run a foundation unit - Reception obviously attend all day, the older Nursery children attend in the morning and the younger 3 year olds in the afternoon. We have a celebration assembly on Friday mornings which means the very youngest of our children are not expected to participate. Celebration assemblies tend to be good fun with lots of participation!

I remember hearing somewhere that assemblies should aim to last one minute for every year of the child's life - so that means three minutes for a three year old!!!! I will add that ours are definitely not that short.

Not meaning to be particularly controversial or anything but surely it depends on how the assemblies are delivered? I've just moved from a J and I school where my Rec children joined in 3 shortish assemblies a week and the part timers joined in with two: a dramatically told story suitable for all (ex head very engaging), Special Mentions (children excelling in something) and Good Work.

The children never showed or voiced any unhappiness about this, were thrilled when it was their chance to join in and were almost always engaged throughout. We gave all the part-time children the opportunity to stay in FS if they wished but more often than not they chose to go in together. You might wonder about the quality of our provision(!!! - OFSTED liked us a lot if that means anything). I think it was more to do with our school ethos - any opportunities for us to be together were special, everyone's involvement is important - no junior bias. It took a very special headteacher to develop this though.