Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas For Things To Make

Hi all

I've just had a fun 10 minutes, colouring some rice for tomorrow ..(my husband must think i am mad, keep telling him it an 'early years thing' :o ). i had to throw away my old 'rainbow rice'.... will take some more in for the children to do.

any way it got me thinking... has any one else got any inexpensive and quick ideas for things they make for their settings

would love to hear your ideas, just incase theres things i have not thought about :D .

Jo

I like to take the plain wooden rollers out of the dough box and wrap things around them using tape or rubber bands. Yesterday we attached sponges, lace and pipe cleaners for printing. I usually look in the catalogues and see if I can adapt things that cost, into things that are free. :D

we made a simple game using coloured sheets of paper A4 size which we placed on a table, children spent ages looking for items in the room to put on the appropriate colour then counted the, compared them etc etc before having to return them to the correct home. It is so popular we have now laminated the paper and it is in a folder where the children often access it themselves and na spend long periods with them.

we extended this to include a maths one with numbers of items to collect and shapes of items to collect, in fact can be used for lots of things once your children start playing with them and begin to change the game as they play.

Inge

I remember many moons ago my hubby came home to find me 'cooking' wood shavings. Actually I had a tray of green, blue, yellow ( coloured with food colouring) drying in the oven :(:o

another time hubbys dad, who used to live in the annex came home to find me in the kitchen 'popping' off 100 party poppers ( I bought them bulk) then watching me scramble around the floor sorting; 1/ the strands for collage and 2/ the small round popper stopper cardboard coloured discs to be used for colour sorting activities, and some I laminated for counters. :wacko:

When I first got my laminator, no-one in the house dared to sit down, or leave ANYTHING lying around in case it became 'laminated' xD

Just this week I saw in a catalogue, wall lego - basically 2 rectangular lego boards about 2ft X 1ft which attach to the wall with a holder fixed underneath. I thought, that's interesting, so got a board for lego and our larger duplo board, a bit of strong velcro and attached then to the wall, two tubs nearby, the children loved it. ( pic attached.) Cost less than £1 for velcro, boards are approx £10 each. Cost in catalogue? wait for it .....£99 xD:(

Peggy

P>S> for all you safety officers out there......pics 1 and 4, look at photo on wall, left hand corner of pic and you will see me 'testing' the local tyre swing...risk assesment, if it can take my weight, then it is safe for the children.. :rolleyes: well that's my excuse for 'having the first go' and I'm sticking to it. :unsure:

Such fun and we get paid for it too :(

Peggy

post-3604-1168544164_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1168544237_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1168544286_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1168544339_thumb.jpg

Peggy could i just ask where you got your strong velcro from, i got some but its not strong enough, it doesn't seem to hold any weight.

I think this is a great idea, would love to try it.

Peggy could i just ask where you got your strong velcro from, i got some but its not strong enough, it doesn't seem to hold any weight.

I think this is a great idea, would love to try it.

B & Q, it is very strong, when I take the boards off the wall each day ( shared venue :o ) I have to peel them very slowly and carefully or the strength of the velcro actually pulls the whole velcro strip off the wall ( if you see what I mean). However, strong enough to hold a large notice board on our outside wall.

Peggy

Thankyou peggy, i will get some at the weekend and start making. we are a shared venue so everything has to be taken down.

Thanks so much.

Peggy,

I have bought velcro from B & Q and velcroed a duplo base plate to the front of the stage and made a wall mounted activity as you suggested. You're right, the velcro is so strong that it's very difficult getting it apart.

The children love the idea of duplo being wall mounted - I now need a larger base plate so there is more room for 2 children to play.

Thanks for the idea

Sue J

Brilliant thank peggy :D

Do you think it would be plausable on the radiator cover as havent a spare wall :( It doesnt get hot :(

Depends what your cover is like, if it is grated :o maybe you think the velcro hasn't enough backing. Why not get a clever person to drill a hole in each corner, then you could tie it on xD , difficult to say without seeing what you are working with.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)