Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Proud Mum!

Sue R

:D Hi!

Well, sorry about this, but need to share!

Some of you may know that my son is a Theatre Technician (as in stage, not hospital!!). Earlier this year his hard-won job healed up and went away, but he was fortunate to land an even better one with Loughborough Town Hall (which is actually the theatre, not the seat of local government!). Yesterday the pantomime run came to an end, having been a total, runaway success, sold out virtually every night with good reviews from everyone.

During the run he's been doing the whole range of techy duties, as well as filling in for the UV scene and being chief dresser and support for the brave guy that played the Giant ( 'Jack and the Beanstalk') and thoroughly enjoying it, although he's now exhausted, as are they all!

On Saturday myself, my husband, daughter and son-in-law went to see it for ourselves and it was superb!! We stayed on for the traditional 'spoof' performed by the crew for the cast and it was totally hilarious!!! Steve played the Dame sidekick figure, with full custard pie stopping etc and also played an amazing guitar solo mid show.

The Theatre Manager recognised us from a visit to see a show and get the 'grand tour' a couple of months ago and sat with us for the spoof. He was very complimentary about him and his work and then about his guitar playing...

His probation period ends at the end of this month, so it sounds promising. I so hope he gets through it OK, he really loves this job and it's the realisation of all his hopes for a career. And this lad struggled so at school, he was virtually written off - his old Drame teacher, who nurtured his dreams of being a Lighting Technician, his DT teacher and his Chemistry teacher were the only ones who seemed to care. He's been in touch with them recently to let them know he's still hanging on in there! His Drama teacher has invited him in to give a Masterclass to her GCSE and A level students, as has his College Tutor.

I'm just so proud of him and all he's achieved. :D:D I hope you'll forgive me for boasting here, but I could burst right now!! Up there on the stage, with his new colleagues and with the public he's so different to the unhappy, struggling bullied child he used to be...... and the cast couldn't praise him enough, either.

I'll shut up now. :o

Guest MaryEMac

Sue, you must be so proud of him. I could almost feel the waves of pride coming out of the monitor as I read the post. :D:D

I hope he continues to make you proud.

Mary

:D What a brilliant message and don't you dare shutup!!! :D

Congratulations to you and your son.

I totally empathise with you as I have similar experiences with my third son who was 'written off' by his headmaster and vast majority of school staff but has proved them wrong.

I know the 'fit to burst' feeling only too well and isn't is WONDERFUL :D:D

Enjoy it Sue and long may it continue :D:D:D:D:D

Thank you for such a lovely post Sue. Sharing success and achievement should be done more often and not apologised for. Even though I obviously don't know him, please let your son know how proud I feel for him too :D

Extra pride to him for being some a young person who has overcome the hurdles put up by adults around him who should know better and hang their heads in shame.

Well done to you for loving him unconditionaly ( which is of course what we mums and dads do).

I really hope his career goes from strength to strength and I for one would love to read how he gets on in the future. Certainly an inspirational story for me to relate to the lads I have staying with me at the moment. To let them know that good can happen, it is just so unfortunate that so many young kids have to work so hard at it because of adults who let them down.

For one 'negative' adult there are double who do care and value and love each and every young person making a go of life. :D

The guitar solo reminded me of when my son sang in a choir at our local theatre one Christmas, aged around 7 yrs, the first time I had heard a half orchestra too, I have it on tape and it still makes the hair on the back of my neck tingle each time I listen to it :o

Peggy

Your post brought tears to my eyes too and I felt so proud. Your son is working to his dream and you are supporting that, and how much more can a good parent do than support their child's choices, show them how proud they are and let them sing....

Brought tears to my eyes too, a perfect audience here at the forum to hear and share your wonderful news.

That is lovely, lovely, lovely news thankyou for sharing, what a lovely mum your son has, no wonder he is coping with life so well. :D:D

Sue, I cant improve on what everyone else has said but please pass on my congratulations to your young man too. :D:D:D I can just imagine the smile on your face :D:D:D Good luck wishes for the end of the month too :D:D:D

• 1 month later...

Great news Sue, to have a career dream and get to it takes determination, sacrifice and personal drive, well done to your son for keeping at it and getting where he is today, the future now will be a wondrous journey. :D

Peggy