Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fire!

Following on from a TASC wheel discussion about 'Whatever Next' book which we are doing next couple of weeks, the children have mentioned that they would like to make/see fire (as illustrated under the rocket in the book). I would love to build a fire with the kids but know that my head (being secondary trained and very KS2 orientated) will have a blue fit if I even mention the idea.

Anyone been brave enough to try this, and how did you go about it? How can I convince my head it's a good idea? I have visions of drawing with charcoal afterwards....

Risk assessment - that's a good idea, she might soften if I offer to do that. Do you do the whole fire safety talk too? Was thinking of getting a fireman in too. (attractive applicants only you understand!)

I applaud your decision to consider ways of persauding your head, rather than thinking, well it will never happen :D:o

Agree with others re: risk assessment.

Not that this will help but a few years ago I spent time in Sweden on an early years exchange project. One day we ( the Kindergarten I was placed with) spent time 1st in the woods, climbing, scrambling and exploring, then lunch was 'cooked' on an open beach fire ( circle of stones, on the sand, with fire made in the centre). Children aged 3+ were happily froloking around nearby. I can tell you now, the waffles we cooked were the most delicious I have ever tasted xD:(:D

I thought at the time, wow, this could never happen in England ( social services registration then).

Good luck, I really hope that you are given the opportunity to do this activity, and I would like to add, the more often this type of activity is done with children, the less the risk because it isn't seen as a 'novelty' but as a regular natural occurance in the curriculum. :D Same as outdoor walks versus raod safety risks the more they experience it, the more they are 'experienced' in sense dangers and risks.

Peggy

another thought, I am sure I have seen an article in Nursery World, don't know how long ago, about a nursery that carried out such outdoor activities regularly. If you contact them they may be able to identify the issue and send you a copy as further amunition to present to your head on the 'educational' value of such an experience.

Peggy

I

Good luck, I really hope that you are given the opportunity to do this activity, and I would like to add, the more often this type of activity is done with children, the less the risk because it isn't seen as a 'novelty' but as a regular natural occurance in the curriculum. :D

Peggy

That's exactly how it is Peggy the children respect the danger because they are aware of it in a way they wouldn't be if they had never experienced it........does that make sense?

Go for it! I have been on lots of courses when someone from the forest schools has been talking, they are really involved in outdoors and using woodland etc for learning. It all sounds fantastic! Their website has all sorts of ideas and info.

forestschools

Liz x

Our school is a Forest School. Although we haven't done it (yet) with Foundation stage we have had campfires and use of saws etc with children in year 3. We are hoping to do the same with our children some time this year. We have a worker who is Forest School trained and he leads the sessions. He invites parents in for some of the Fire sessions too and they usually have Hot chocolate and marshmallows around the campfire. The children love it.

Thanks everyone. You are all so positive about it - makes me determined to collect my evidence and go in next week armed! The links look good too. I have looked into forest schools but unfortunately not possible in London - we don't even have any grass in our playground, let alone woods! I was thinking of doing it in a bin!

Puzzles xxx

I was going to suggest an incinerator. We bought one last year £25 I think which is a lot of money when you consider its a dustbin with holes in and a funnel on its lid. Good source of heat too. Hope your head gives you the ok :D

Hi

I really love the idea of the fire and charcoal but have a probarly silly question what is the Forest school concept you talk about?

Have a look at lizgriffen response, there is a link which may help. :D

Peggy

Well guess what, I went in armed to my Head and she only went and said yes!!!

So if you hear an explosion next week in the south-west london area then you know we have burnt the school down!!!!

So excited ! :o

Dear all

We had our fire today and it was great!

We linked it to the story 'Whatever Next' and I read the story whilst we were doing it, with Little bear in attendance complete with colander and wellies for his space kit!! Then had a picnic afterwards, with honey sandwiches and biscuits (all the children's ideas!) We roasted some marshmallows too and all the children came up and felt the warmth of the fire! Only ended up having a small fire as it was very windy and rainy (although it stopped for us luckily!), but was still great and the children were fascinated.

Tomorrow we are planning to use the charcoal to draw pictures!

Puzzles xx

(Wanted to add some photos but can't seem to do it - when I click on 'insert image' it says 'you must enter a URL' - anyone know how to do it??)

Hi Puzzles, glad you had a good day :D

I think, and i really am no expert, to download pictures you go down to 'file attachments', click on 'browse' and then click on the pictures from wherever you have them on your computer and they attach.

I'm going to test my explanation here

post-3139-1169071596_thumb.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)