Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Birth To 3 In Pre-school Setting

Hi all,

As part of the next step in my OU EYFD, I am working on inclusion. I have chosen to plan for, and observe, a small group of children (we don't do keyworking, so this is difficult).

One of the children I have "selected" is aged 2 years 9 months. We have no progress records on him because "he is outside the parameters for funding".

For my own benefit in my course, I need to make some sort of assessment record (my setting does not want me to use stepping stones, because "he is too young"). Is anyone using a 0-3 assessment system that I could use?

Please.

Diane.

Hi

i use a very simplified progression sheet with my 2 1/2 year olds, it has just the basics of the 6 ELGs on it and consists of one A4 page with these things on.

If you want a copy i will attemp to send you one.

I saw yesterday that someone has developed some assessment documentation to run with birth to three and links into the foundation stage. However I am in university and it is at home (useful!!!) If this is the sort of thing you are after I will post it this evening for you.

Jay

Hi diane,

I have just devised my own progress sheets for our children aged 0-3, they are based around the birth to three matters and also link in with the foundation stage, they also inform our planning so that we ensure we are meeting each individual child's needs, if you are interested then please let me know and I will try and send them to you

Jo F

• 3 weeks later...

The information that you are looking for linking the foundation stage to the BTTM is on the disc that came with the pack, it explains if you read through it, which areas of the learning aspects reflect which early learning goals, your under 3's in some cases are working on the yellow and green stepping stones.

i have just become room leader of a 2-3 yr old room i would be grateful for any tips withh regards to observations and what paper work we should have, we are expecting an ofsted visit in the next 3 months!!!

• 6 months later...

Hi Jo

I have just read your post regarding progress sheets for BTTM i would be very grateful if you could send me a copy to look at. i am finding it hard to get my head around the BTTM planning anyone else in the same boat would welcome any advice please. Thanks Stella53

stellafildes@yahoo.com

HI Lucyp

Thanks for that i went out and bought the baby books,they are very good.

I am having trouble coming up with a format how to plan linking bttm with foundation stage planning. It took us ages to come up with a planning format that worked in our setting, (we are in a pre-school,) i really want to have a peep at what others have come up with just to get ourselves on track. If anyone can help i will be very grateful.

We too found it difficult to link the two frameworks.

Eventually we thought:

A Strong Child = PSED

A Skilful Communicator = CLL

A Competent Learner = KUW, C

A Healthy Child = Ph

And we linked our planning to that.

I must say it would have been easier if the same person had designed both frameworks, as sometimes you find similarities but at other times they seem poles apart!

We are are nursery setting with different areas, so we find it much easier to keep planning, assesments etc completley seperate.

Not much help i know :o but i think we are just muddling through xD

A while ago the PLA did a series of features in their contact magazine which linked the B23's, FSC and the National Care standards. They were very concise and clear.

Maybe if you ring PLA 02078330991 they may be able to send you the back issues.

I have the contact magazines at work ( computer at home) I will get them tomorrow and post an example in a few days. ( It would take to long to write the whole lot out.

Peggy

• 4 weeks later...

I work in a preschhol setting and am trying to devise a simple booklet to inform parents about BTTM. The booklet that acompanied the pack is very long winded. If anyone has one i can look at i would really appriciate it. Thanks

• 2 months later...

i had a visit from Early years a few weks ago... to discuss how we impliment birth to three in our setting.

We as i said earlier in these posts did a simple elg tick sheet for these children concentrating on P&sE development.

The lady told us to steer away from these as the children should be being nurtured to the activities they want to do and just making sure they have access to all they need.

She said just to follow the steps in the pack and to make sure they could access all points on those cards in the pack... that was it... :D

Thanks for that Hali.

Diane

P.S. I have copies of the PLA tabulations that Peggy mentioned back in November. If anyone is interested, I'll have a go at scanning them onto the computer. Let me know.

Hi Dianne i would very much like to see copies of the PLA tabulations that Peggy mentioned if you could send me them thanks

stellafildes@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Observing and assessing progress in under 3s.

I have just received a sample copy of Trackers 0 - 3 and Trackers 3 - 5. These are little books, the idea is that each child gets one. The 0 - 3 book is broken down into each of the four aspects (eg A Strong Child) which are then sub divided into the four components (eg Me, myself and I, Being Acknowleged and Affirmed etc). The downside for me is that it reads like a tick list of skill mastery, with only a tiny space for comments at the bottom of each page. However I do like the way it unpicks what is involved in each component and it does link to the stepping stones of FSD. I would be interested to know what others think of these books, if others use them and if they are used in private nurseries, playgroups, LEA nurseries or even schools!

The books are £2 each (less if you buy in bulk) and are available from QEd publications. Dr Hannah Mortimer has written the books, who is widely regarded as a leader writer/psychologist in early years.

Hali

We had the Birth to Three visit, too! Although she did have the decency to cringe when we pointed out that being able to get on the training would be a bonus!

Did you manage to get booked on any of the Birth to Three trainng Hali? And if so, was it useful?

Maz

I have a copy of the Trackers for 3-5 year olds. It is not strictly relevant for me as I work to a different curriculum. They are also extremely detailed. I did use them to help me devise my own record. I have printed these up on A4 paper and use one side to write comments and can date the boxes when I think a child has achieved something. They are worth a look at though and the 0-3 one would be interesting. :)

• 6 months later...

Hi Dianne,

I've picked this one up a bit late, but I would also be very interested in the PLA tabulations as mentioned.

Many thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)