Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Needed

Hi I wonder if anybody can help me, I'm taking up a new post in January and the school where I will be working are wanting to set up a Foundation Stage Unit. I have heard of FSUs and have read the information on the forum however i was wondering if anyone knew of any good books, literature, websites that would help me in my quest to set up a FSU. The school is a two form entry school with part time nursery children. I would really appreciate any help people can offer.

:)

There's no 'one model', try to go to look at as many FSUs as you can, even if it means travelling a bit! Also get your Early years Service advisory staff on board to help you. Preparation is crucial so everyone involved knows what will be expected - good luck

Couldn't agree more!

It's essential you visit as many as possible and take the bits you like from each.

start with some ideas and then try them out.

We found that our practice developed as the Unit developed and the kids got into it.

We've been running for nearly three years and we're still developing

Good luck

Jo

• 1 month later...

Hello have just joined the Forum because we too have set up (on my request, new post) a F S Unit. We are having fun, I stand by the decision to do it, I feel that they are wonderful! We are in birmingham, where are you? We are up for visits and or discussion.

just to say hi and welcome to Tracey from a fellow Brummie, hope you enjoy the site and good luck with the setting up, Ive been there too at the begining but sadly moved on and now dont work that way.

Sally, have you read Anne's articles here in the forum? There are quite a few memebrs who work in FSU and Im sure they will be on hand to offer advice.

It's great to see all these FSU setting up, after all isn't that what the Foundation stage is all about?

I have mentioned this before on this site but, Here in Norfolk we don't have any! I have been employed by a very forward thinking Head to, firstly to revive an ailing Pre school that had moved into school as it had no where to run, then integrate the pre school and reception class into a foundation unit.

There is a Teacher, myself and 2 TA with (at the moment) 16 children. It is working amazingly well, the parents are happy, the children are practically getting individual learning plans, and the school is happy - integrated learning. But the County says we can’t do it!

We have had sooooooooooooo many meetings, but we are banging our heads against a brick wall. It is a very small village with no other provision, lots of young families with nowhere to go. We are one of a handful of nurture schools in the Country where every child does matter. The problem is that we don’t fit into any of the boxes and County seemingly would rather see the Pre School close than let us show them that it works.

Any suggestions? Apart from chaining ourselves to county Hall?

Can you appeal to Sure Start for advice?

I am in a Foundation stage unit in a small school with similar numbers but too far away from you. We were set up with sure start funding as there was no provision for the 3 year olds in the area.

Maybe that is why they are not being supportive. The only other option I can think of is for the head to send out a questionnairre that is designed to show there is a need for childcare in the area. and from what I understand these days, your authority can't say you can't do it.It is the governors who are responsible for the school and your school buys services in from the authority. It wiil need them(the governors) to check and use the questionnaire to show that there are 3 year olds who will not be able to access the Sure Start provision and see what can be done. The government has a duty that all 3 and 4 year olds have access to nursery education. You may be able to apply for the nursery education grant.

Perhaps other people may have more understanding and can offer other ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we are a pre-school that have been asked by our LEA to partner with the school to establish a FSU. Why don't your LEA want you to work this way? I am confused, they do have to ensure that there is sufficient provision in the area, and we too have that problem in a way that we can not cater for all the children that need us, so we are trying to expand.

Can you let me know their objections, to you running this way?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)