Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Extended Entitlement From2007?

How is the extenden entitlement to 15 hours per week for 38 weeks going to affect children in a nursery class who only attend part - time. It is also for 38 weeks. How is this going to work with school holidays ect. Is anyone out there with this knowledge, or who can explain how it may work.

hi I dont have an answer but was also wondering how it will affect us in schools as if the children have to have 3 hours the first session would run from 9-12 and the afternoon children would be 12.20 -3.20. this would leave us needing extra cover over the lunchtimes is it going to be reccomended or legally bound to give three hours.

not sure how it will affect a school, but we have been told it is not to be implemented until 2008 here, and so far idea has been that session will be extended to 3 hours a day rather than 2.5 giving 15 hours a week for part time attendance over 38 weeks.

As said it is not just schools this will affect in timings but also sessional pre-schools who operate to school terms and currently offer 2 sessions in a day, as they also will not have enough hours in a day to do this.

Inge

I know some preschools are changing their registration from sessional to daycare our group cannt do 5 mornings so if it come to the crunch we will either close or move

Ive wondered how school nurseries are going to cope? our local school has 2 sessions each day different children am and pm surely teachers need more that a 20 minute lunch break between sessions thats barely time to eat and it leaves no preperation/setting up time between morning and afternoon sessions?????

we will have to wait and see whether it applies to school nurseries, I know alot dont provide 2 1/2 hour sessions, so they will probably have a loop hole for the 3 hours as well....???

This thought crossed my mind too although fortunately we are full time so unless that changes we are unlikely to have this problem. We did discuss though that if we did have to our sessions would have to be 8.45-11.45 and 12.15-3-15 which does mean starting earlier and finishing later than the rest of the school. You are entitled to a half hour break although it still isn't enough to have a cuppa and prepare for changeover...hmm in the words of (Nat King Cole I thnk) 'there may be trouble ahead'. I can see all sorts of issues over directed time, or possible more schools will employ 2 part time teachers for this role?

It starts for us next year and as far as I understand parents are entitled to 15hours and that is what they will have to be offered which will mean three hour sessions! Also I wonder how it will affect staggered entry in September which has been very unpopular with our working parents.

I know some preschools are changing their registration from sessional to daycare our group cannt do 5 mornings so if it come to the crunch we will either close or move

We cannot go full daycare tried but no staff toilet!!! otherwise we already offer everything else required!! No place to move to so will probably end up closing for half days, which will mean losing staff who need all day money, and not being albe to take as many children, 20 a day instead of current 40 although we usually have about 30 a day

Inge

we could open as suggested 8.45 etc but parents dont want this...did ask, starts too early and pm ends too late!!

What age does this apply to? Our 3 year olds attend part time (2.5 hrs x 5 days) then get a full time place somewhere around 4 to 4 1/2, attending full time for 1 or 2 terms before they move to Reception.

What will we do?

some of our TAs work 32.5 hours and some work 27.5 hours, i can see that casuing some difficulties if schools have to go to 3 hour session. Im sure our nursery teacher doesnt know that, will it apply to schools does anyone know?

yes i had read that.

So i was just going to extend it to lunch club and not charge but if they didnt want to stay fro lunch then pick up early.It just means working staff hours so those working half day stay later or come earlier so the all day staff get a lunch break.It works for us at the mo but we have 10 staff and limit lunch club to 12 for staff ratio ob if all children want to stay for lunch it will be harder.

Parents arnt going to want to hang around with their primary school children to pick up later and we certainly dont want them in the playroom in the morn we would never get rid,it would be bedlem!!!! mmm :o need to think this one out.

I've just attended one of 'Flexible Early Years Entitlement Pathfinders Project' meetings for Herts. We were told that the pathfinders will run from 2007/2010 and then national roll-out and statutory duty by 2010. Their preference is for parents to be able to access the 15 hours over 3 days. I have to say we all had a lot of questions but as the meeting only ran for two hours their was no time for any questions. Questions were written down and they have promised to send us all a book of the answers. Children's centres, Nursery Schools, Primary Schools with Nursery Classes, Private & Voluntary Early Years Settings were all invited to the meetings

Karrie

I've just attended one of 'Flexible Early Years Entitlement Pathfinders Project' meetings for Herts. We were told that the pathfinders will run from 2007/2010 and then national roll-out and statutory duty by 2010. Their preference is for parents to be able to access the 15 hours over 3 days. I have to say we all had a lot of questions but as the meeting only ran for two hours their was no time for any questions. Questions were written down and they have promised to send us all a book of the answers. Children's centres, Nursery Schools, Primary Schools with Nursery Classes, Private & Voluntary Early Years Settings were all invited to the meetings

Karrie

slightly different but, next term my preschool is funded for 11 weeks and 3 days, when discussing with my LEA how they are going to fund the 3 days,( weds, thurs, fri) they said if a child attends 2 sessions in a day, only one session will be classes as a funded one. :o

I have children who attend all day weds, thurs and fri, using weds, thurs as 4 sessions and friday morning as 1 session= 5 funded. I will only be funded for 3 of these sessions,(weds, thurs, fri mornings only) therefore the parents will have to pay for afternoons yet if they attended mon, tues, weds, all day they get all 5 sessions funded. xD:(

more hours calculating the spring fees. :(

Peggy

• 2 months later...

We were told that In our Nursery -part time and attached to school- that we would have to imploy two teachers, as to have 1 teacher working 8.45-11.45 and then 12.15-3.15 would mean over a year they would do too many hours.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)