Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Anyone Using The E-profiles?

I'm not sure how many counties have taken up the electronic profile which, I think, originated in Suffolk. We've decided to use it and want to be able to drop photos into it as evidence of some of the ELG's.

As yet, I haven't been able to find a way of doing this which is very annoying!

Looks like we'll be printing out, cutting and sticking instead......unless anyone here has found a way of doing it. Copying and pasting doesn't work :o

Hi Jessica -

Welcome to the forum - I see you've introduced yourself elsewhere! :D

Are these e-profiles available online? I keep hearing about them but haven't got round to looking at them. I'd be interested just to see what they're like - don't need them myself but it would be good to know what people are talking about!

Like Linda, I like the Avatar!

Regards, Steve

HI

Sorry can't help. We aren't using it! Mundia might know?

Steve, I think you can't get it unless your LEA recomends its use. You certainly have to input school data to validate it. Mundia posted a link way back last term but I'm too tired to do the fancy referencing for you!

Happy hunting!

Susan

We had a local cluster group meeting yesterday and one of the reception class teachers said that they were using it but having problems. A lot of schools are using the booklets but they have to input all the info onto the e-profile by the end of the year to send all the info to the town hall.

Linda

Hi Jessica,(again)

We have to use the eprofile as of this year, so Iam reasonably familiar with it. I dont have it with me at home, but I wil have a look at work tomorrow and see if I can figure it out. I dont recall that ther was any space anywhere to put photos??

It is a national document from the dfee so it should be on the dfee site as well although I havent looked. I think te intention is that all school will use it from 2006 i thnk

Hi all,

Thanks for all your responses. I was quite surprised to read that some of you aren't aware of the electronic version of the FSP. It was also used last year by some schools but was rife with problems. This year's version 2 is supposed to be glitch free, hmmm, I'll reserve judgement on that until July!

We heard last July of a school in our area who pasted photos of children 'performing' different ELG's as evidence in some of the 'notes' boxes at the end of each area. We liked that idea and thought wouldn't it be great if we could do the same this year but do it via the computer rather than having to print out each photo and then cut out and paste in. At the moment it looks like it doesn't have this facility. I'll try and get round to calling the guy in charge of this stuff in Cambs and let those interested know if it's feasible.

Jess

• 1 month later...

Thanks Mundia!

Could anyone give me an example of a UPN number?

Our european international school is private and we do not have a UPN number as the schools in the UK. Having an example will let me create some and be able to use the program.

Thanks in advance,

SmileyPR

Ok I have just checked my disc at home and the UPN is a capital letter followed by 12 number digits. but the first 3 numbers are the code for the LEA so I dont knoew how you would get round that, unless you can enter the data without the UPN

Yes, Mundia, I read in the e-profile that the UPN is a capital letter followed by 12 number digits, but I couldn't invent one that could fit. If I leave it blank, the program doesn't work. Anyway, I will wait for when you or anyone else can give an example. Thanks a million and lots of blessings.

Kind regards,

SmileyPR

Ok smileyPR Ive had a play this morning, and I have successfully managed to put in a load of gibberish into the 'new pupils'.

I think you will need to input the data one at a time, by selecting 'add new pupil' rather than use the 'import data option'. For this you need to have SIMS or similar and I dont know if you will have

If you want to pm me with exactly what you have done and what messages you get, Im sure we can come up with a solution.

:D:D

Hi Mundia,

First of all, thanks for your kind help.

Well, first I had tried the Import Names, but I saw I couldn't do so because I dont' have the MIS (I suppose that is at school and I am working with this at home). I don't know if I have the CVS, which I suppose but I have to investigate since I have never used it.

I then tried the Add New Pupils, but there comes the UPN number. "Please fill the UPN". I try with the letter and 12 numbers (inventing one) and it doesn't work: "The UPN is invalid".

I hope I make my points clear and that I don't confuse you more.

Thanks again,

SmileyPR :)

Hi Smiley -

I don't know who controls the e-profile, but it depends on how smart they've been with the UPN (Unique Pin Number).

It's quite possible that you won't be able to just put in a random number of the same format as someone elses and get it to work - you'll need something that the system is prepared to accept based on an acceptable number series.

And I'm a little worried here that if they're protecting the program it is because they don't want unauthorised people to use it - if this is the case I don't want this forum to be guilty of attempting to break their protection.

As I understand it the program is free so I wouldn't have thought there are likely to be issues, but I think it would be best to check with the owners of the software. I'm happy to do this on Tuesday if either you or Mundia could give me the contact details?

Or am I completely misunderstanding the nature of the problem? :o

Regards, Steve.

Oh xD , Steve... I never thought I would be doing anything illegal :( since the e-profile is offered free on the internet. I apologize for any inconvenience I could have been able to cause to the forum and ask that, if you consider it necessary, to delete this post. Okay? I won't feel bad about it because I understand you. Mundia also excused herself with me. Please excuse her, she never meant any harm. I also excuse myself here, publicly, if I could have caused any problems for her. Sorry, Mundia :o

I am a Reception teacher at an International School in Belgium. We follow the full British National Curriculum throughout the children's school career, offering the official examinations for which the school is a recognised examination centre. So, everything is legal :) .

I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide to me. If you need any information. Please contact me via a PM. Okay?

Again, sorry for any inconvenience and thanks in advance for any help.

Blessings,

SmileyPR

Edited by SmileyPR

Hi Smiley -

I'm sorry, I've just looked back over my post and realised that it sounded a bit accusatory!

I know Mundia well and trust her fully, and I'm sure neither of you intended anything that anyone would object to! :D

I just need to check with the program originators that they're happy for the program to be used without the UPN. Mundia has sent me their contact details and I'll speak to them on Tuesday if possible. I'll let you know what they say.

Apologies - I didn't intend you to feel accused in any way! :)

:o Everything is okay. I know you didn't mean to sound accusatory. You are just an honest person who wants to do things right and that is very good :) , which makes me feel good in this forum because I know things will be taken seriously and you don't find that everywhere. I think that is one of the reasons I like this forum so much. One can feel professionalism and good fellowship. So don't feel bad :) .

See you during the week!

Hi Steve & Smiley

I don't know what you know exactly but the eprofile as I understand it is, an alternative means of recording the profile but is only available for use with authorisation from your LEA.

UPN = unique pupil number and is assigned Somehow to a pupil on first school admission and stays with them allowing records etc to be tracked/accessed if the pupil moves schools or areas.

I haven't been able to access the eprofile as my LEA don't authorise its use.

Seems a shame really.

there is other record keeping software available which I believe should enable you to assess/ track against the profile but my school hasn't successfully bought those either.

We made our own spreadsheet which we use as a tick sheet, for ease ofwhole class overview but handwrite onto the profile documents our lEA devised for F1 & F2.

Don't know if that helps any!?

Dear Susan,

Thanks for the information!

I think I will just desist on the idea of the e-profile. I can not understand why, if they offer it free on the net, then they put so many obstacules. If some LEA's don't authorise it, something must be wrong.

Anyway, thanks to all of you.

Kind regards,

SmileyPR

Hi Smiley -

Just to let you know I spoke to someone from the DfES who is responsible for the policy on use of the e-profile.

She was unable to give me a definite answer but promised to get back to me. I'll keep you up to date with any information I get!

Don't give up! :)

Hi Smiley, Mundia, Susan and others -

Having successfully complicated everything for everyone, I can now at least give you permission to carry on sorting out your problem.

I spoke to the DfES this morning and they have confirmed that they have no objection to anyone downloading and using the e-profile program.

However, they offer no technical support for the program, which is only available via the LEA's who have adopted the program for their own areas.

Smiley and Mundia - they also aren't able to offer any help with the UPN which, as Susan pointed out, is unique to each pupil - so I'm not sure how you're able to come up with your own ones apart from possibly re-using each others UPN's. Since I haven't used the program I don't know how feasible this might be - I'll be interested to hear how you get over this.

I did ask if it was feasible for the DfES to provide us with a series of dummy UPN's but they weren't prepared/able to do this.

Sorry for the confusion earlier - Smiley, I hope you find a way round this.

It has occurred to me before now that the FSF would be a good place to come up with a set of requirements for a good record keeping/admin program. We could all suggest features which any system should have, and then see if we can't persuade someone to put it together for us - once I've got the new site out of the way, does anyone think this would be an interesting project? It would be longer term of course, and wouldn't help you with your immediate needs Smiley...

:)

Smiley - it's just occurred to me. You may not have found the other FSP discussion where AngelaC gave us an Excel formatted spreadsheet, which is what she uses for FSP recording?

If not you can find it and download the filehere.

If you do use it perhaps you can PM Angela to thank her for it. It might not be what you're after, but I think it will probably help. :)

Hi all,

I've just updated myself on this thread, which I hadn't been following too closely as it didn't really affect me. Haven't you been having fun!!! :o

Steve, your idea sounds interesting, as always. I think it would be a very worthwhile project !

Sue :D

Thanks for that Steve. :D

It does seem rather a shame, as I quite like the eprofile, that I cant see a way round the UPN issue-its a shame that you cant enter the data without one really. I know LEAS do have 'dummy' UPN for children who havent got them yet.

So back to the drawing board Smiley, at least for now.

I think your other idea is a good one Steve. :D

Steve, I think that could be a really good idea.

I found somethimg that looks good by assessease. Anyone know that?

Re using the e-profile, I think if you've got Lea authorisation, the SIMS data schools use can be very quickly inserted providing UPNs. Mundia may know?

Also its not easy to access the program unless you have a contact like Mundia.

Thanks a million, Steve and everyone, for trying to help me out with this. I will go now to the link you have given me and try that out. I will see if at school they have any UPN that I can use as a dummy. We have several pupils from the U.K. so I suppose from there I might create one, just to not use the real one. Anyway, I would be using the e-profile to manage the FSP in an easier way, not to send by e-mail or something like that. We will see how it comes. Right now we have to present the 1st draft of our reports by the end of May, so maybe I just don't complicate myself with this and leave it for next year. That will give me more time to get to know better the program and learn a lot more from all of you. Steve, I think that your idea is great and I am sure it will work out well.

Again, thanks a million!

SmileyPR :)

Okay... I am seeing something... "unfunded settings, will not have a profile." I suppose that is why we don't have to send the profiles to the LEA. We do make reports based on the FSP. For each statement we have to write an attainment level. Then we write a comment after each area of learning, and finally a general comment at the end of the report.

Edited by SmileyPR

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)