Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas Needed

Hi all

I'm about to start our inspire workshops with the parents and children in our Nursery and I wondered if any of you creative types had ideas for an activity. As it will be the run up to Christmas we thought of doing a Christmas themed activity. Possible decoration?? or other Christmas themed link. It needs to be fairly simple to carry out in an hours session and something that they of course could also try at home.

Ideas of what and how to make (if not self explanatory) would be gratefully received :)

To get you in the mood I'm changing my avatar to a Christmas one :o

Could make a box one week then some sweets the week after, tree decorations, snowflakes. Where did you get your avatar from? looks great

We once made a tree decoration out of bread - cut out shape using seasonal cutter, leave bread to go dry in texture then add paint and glitter...we were sceptical that they might go mouldy but they lasted quite a while and would be easy to make at home. Other activities might be biscuit decorating -ice a santa/snowman face on plain biscuit. You could make a party hat /table decoration for a party on Christmas theme or a shoebox nativity scene..the children and parents could make extra characters at home

Hmm. I promised someone only a few days ago that the first person to change to a christmas avatar before December would get a really silly member title for the festive season.

Think that might be you apple...

:)

Guest DeborahF

How about some kind of salt dough decoration - make the dough and then the decoration. For home activities you could suggest different dough recipes to try, both edible and non-edible and ways in which you can jazz dough up with different smells, textures, etc.

Really easy and cheap option is to use papier mache with a christmas cookie cutter. We've used star, tree, snowman shapes. All you need to do is use a piece of newsprint paper (approx 40cmx40cm) lay flat on a table, and let the children cover it with watered down PVA, until it becomes totally wet. Then ask them to scrunch it up and squash it into the cookie cutter. Using fingers, squash it down as far as posible, squeezing out excess liquid. Gently push shape out of cutter and place it on a tray to dry. Then paint, add sparkle etc. We've used it to make decorations, relief Christmas cards, mother's day presents etc. If you want it to be a decoration, it is quite easy to push a needle through for thread hanging. Another of our annual traditions is to make a mini Xmas cake, using a small (empty) baked bean tin as our cake mould, and 'just add water' Xmas cake mix from the local weigh in shop. You need approx 100g of mix per cake. Tastes fab, and smells yummy as it cooks. Then we use ready roll icing and simple decorations to ice it. Trim it with strips of paper that the children decorate themselves. It's always a big hit and may be something you start during one session and finish off at home, or return to another session.

soapflake snowmen,or bears or whatever!!!!!

Choose your cup -

2 cups snowflakes to one half cup luke warm water and mix. Forms a lovely dough.

get kids to make 3d snowmen, cut a shape from flattened dough.

Use beads, ribbons etc to decorate.

Just remember if it is a tree dec to put hole in before soap dries (and it does!!!)

It is one of my stock activities, for mothers day, add scented oil or colour for flower soaps!

Easter make bunnies with pom pom tails.

slightly off topic ..have a 60yr old mum who has everything!!! she wants a surprize for xmas what do i get!!!!! :oxD

Ann Summers ???!!!! :(

Peggy

Oooh Peggy you beat me too it - older minds think alike?

Re 60 year old mum - she's still young then.

Now if it were me hmmmm ......depends on what you usually pay and whether you share the cost with siblings. Book by a favourite author, night out at the theatre, pehaps with a meal beforehand, Ab. Fab DVD, day in a health spa, or one of those places where you get your nails and feet done, a masage etc. One of those vouchers for driving a sports car, going in a hot air- balloon, and for me a day doing falconry

( well I would like to do that) , return ticket to London plus a ticket for the London Eye , if she doesn't go often. Beautiful fresh flower arrangement, tree for the garden, lovely arty bowl or vase or something along those lines, really special bauble for the Xmas tree, gorgeous cushion to go with the suite, or you could make up a christmas stocking with bits and bobs that she would like.

thanks everyone for the great ideas. I love the cake idea which we may have a go at (we would have to do them in advance and use the Inspire parent workshop to decorate them) as wouldnt be enough time to do both.

Thanks Clarty for the papier mache idea too and of course the snow shakers and soap flakes :)

Fairynough you missed the point of my avatar... just to get people in the Christmas mind set.. dont worry I shall be changing back for a wee while!

So bring on the name Steve I'm ready and waiting!!!!

Cheers everyone and Happy Christmas :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)