Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hours And Overtime

Guest Praesus Infelix

Guest Praesus Infelix

Hi,

Can you guys give me an idea of the amount of "non-session" time that a pre-school manager would get (small setting of max 16 children, four sessions/week, 2 1/2 hours per session, run by a committee)?

Also, is it usually for staff to get overtime and if so what for, how is it authorised and how much per month?

answer to this could be the same as - how long is a piece of sting?

firstly we are open more than double you are - 10 sessions a week 2.5 hrs each ( x2 a day) plus lunch club 5 days a week.

It all depends on what is expected to be done out of hours, I get 6 hours a week and 8 hours for the last week of the month, (I get the extra 2 hours for doing wages at end of month) but this includes all financial bits as well as planning and other stuff required of the manager, During half term or before each term I get an addtional 6 hours to get ready for the term this increases to 16 hours when I get the financial side ready for end of year audit, having done this for a while i find i can do all this in the hours i get paid for - if I have a real problem with the accounts I can claim addtional hours via the treasurer who helps me.

during session time when I work I am hands on and counted in ratios - this can allow for some paperwork during session, i often do planning when time allows (Ofsted were pleased thet I modelled the need for writing etc and children were adding to or writing on my paperwork - the inspector went away with her work littered with childrens drawings and 'writing' as they were so used to joining me)

To list what i do would probably be endless as I am sure you are aware, but this is set as a standard number of hours each week, some I do less others more, evens out most of the time, but I am aware I probably do more than paid for.

Other staff tend to get paid for occasional meetings, training (when they have to attend for us to reach national standards eg. first aid, senco meetings etc) Profiles and observations are done as part of daily routine and with the children but we do have high ratio of adults to children 1:5 to allow for this.

ANy other overtime for staff is agreed by me and the committee , I have authority to agree the payments depending on the financial state at the time, staff are aware if we cannot aford to pay them that we will try to 'make it up to them' when we can afford it.

Our job descriptions all contain a statement that we will be expected to do some out of hours preparation as part of the job and payment may not always be made for these hours.

Senco meetings, cluster meetings, multi agency meetings for childrn with spcial needs or speach therapy are usually in day time and I get paid addtional hours for these, if other staff attned they do not unless i am unavailable and they go instead of me most see it as personal development. All agreed with commiittee when needed.

I also do work for our LEA occasionally I do not get paid by pre-school for those days but claim from LEA, this is agreed with committee as it is good for the group i do this work and other staff cover for me on those days getting the overtime for it.

As you will see nothing is set in stone, and all settings will be so very different, some i have worked for pay no overtime at all, others a little, all depends on financial situation of group, and how the committee value the staff. ( we also get 3 weeks bonus pay over the year if we can afford it to show committee are aware and valuing the hours we all do and not get paid)

Inge

Hi Praesus Infelix, I was never paid anything for the work I did at home. From writing plans to washing the tea towels. Training was only paid for if it occured on a day and at a time we would normally be at work, i.e. we were'nt open on a Wednesday afternoon so only got paid for half a day even if the training lasted all day.

We did get a £10 bonus at Christmas though :o

Ho Ho !

You've all got in before me!

Yes, Pre-school staff do tons in their own time for love of the job and the children - well, the ones worth keeping do!!

I am no longer in a pre-school, but well remember those days!

Sue

Ho Ho !

You've all got in before me!

Yes, Pre-school staff do tons in their own time for love of the job and the children - well, the ones worth keeping do!!

I am no longer in a pre-school, but well remember those days!

Sue

Sue your sounding like Father Christmas saying Ho Ho?! :o

I always did overtime when I worked in a DN although in a baby room. I never got paid for it, or days of in lue. :( When I worked in another DN (worked for 18 months) I got paid overtime if I did any in fact we all did, um wonder why they stuggling for money now. xD

Beth

I do loads of unpaid work, from clearing the hall to planning, to cleaning, to record keeping, comes with the job I think, sometimes I do wish I was paid the odd extra hour, or maybe a pat on the back would be nice, I think it depends on your state of mind and how organised you are, if i am feeling good and not to behind on college work and home stuff then i don't mind putting in the extra time, when your stressed and have loads of nursery stuff to do, it gets to you, like someone has already said at the end of the day we do it for the children, what better reason!!

slightly different from a preschool setting but when I worked for the LEA as a preschool advisor we used to have paid supervision meetings for our small local team of advisors, well during one meeting I suggested an idea I had and presented it in a rough written form, my line manager said "When did you do that?" I replied, "last night when I was preparing for the meeting" she said, "Don't forget to claim that time in your hours"

I was pleasantly aghast, never before or since have I been paid for thinking. :D , now there's a thought :o

Peggy

just re-read that. yes I have been paid for thinking before, but never out of normal working hours. xD

peggy

Guest MaryEMac

At our group, all staff get paid for staff meetings,training during the day (even when the setting is closed) and get petrol money for evening training. Myself as leader usually claim approx 2-3 hrs a week for planning and about 6 hrs for preparation work during the holidays. I would say that all of us do work at home that we don't claim for but hasn't that always been the way of Playgroup staff? :o

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

At my private nursery school all staff get paid for attending compulsory staff meetings and parents evenings. We used to attend courses which were paid for but would not get paid for our time, but recently to encourage more uptake on courses some evening ones are being offered with pay. As a room leader I get paid 1 hour a week paperwork time, and at start of term 3 or 4 hours setting up room time. But when I calculate hours I put in over and above paid I do loads both staying late and working at home.

Our Supervisor gets 5 hours per week (20 hours per month) for administration work! the rest of the staff dont get paid for anything other than working in the session so no meetings, admin, training etc is paid for.

jenni x

In the pre-school i worked at (Committee run) The supervisor got paid 2hrs overtime a week for paperwork at home, staff got paid for staff meetings apart from the leaner times. Other staff didn't get paid for the preparation they did at home or any keyworking we did it for love :o .

Where i work now private sessional day care nursery - the supervisor has 2 sessions out of the room for paperwork etc and we have extra cover (a parent) who comes in. CupOT

Edited by Guest

Hi,

I'm the manager of a pre school which is open 5 days a weeks/10 sessions - 9.30-3pm.

Which works out as 9-3.15pm - 31hrs 15mins a week paid and 15 hrs a week overtime unpaid.

Part and parcel of the job i'm afraid.

We do it for the love of the kids

Net x