Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Egg Boxes

help!! is there anyone out there who is using egg boxes for junk modelling etc.. i am not sure if we are allowed, don't know who made this rule !!!!! i have heard if it has a lion stamp on the egg the boxes would be ok to use. i know it's quite a trivial topic but they make great crocodiles!!!!! :)

We use them, but we make sure there are no traces of egg on them first. I probably wouldn't risk it if we had a child with a life-threatening egg-allergy, but for most children I am happy that it is safe. I am more and more of the opinion that common sense needs to prevail in these things!

Carolyn

We were offered some recently but weren't sure whether we could use them. We gratefully accepted them as we thought they would be great for our big dinosaur - and they were! She's all big, pink and sparkly now!

Guest tinkerbell

I use them all the time. As marion says common sense if they are dirty chuck them.

They make great owls, thats our next project!!

Tinkerbellx

I read that about the lion mark in the Nursery World too. But I do remember a post from a member on here who said microwaving wasnt going to kill the germs. :o

I havent been to a setting yet where egg boxes are allowed. :)

To be honest I think the reply in Nursery Education wasn't particularly well researched. Remember, most of the people who write these magazines are no more qualified on these matters than we are and are subject to the same urban myths! You are absolutely right Rea, microwaving does not make a jot of difference and is just a waste of time. :o

Perhaps being a bit dense here, but Beau are you saying egg boxes should not be used or simply that it is a waste of time (and electricity) to microwave them? Personally we have always taken the stance that unless we have a child with a specific allergy to eggs, it is ok to use them. They really are a very versitile resource!!

Didn't the egg box myth originate from the Edmina Curry Salmonella scare ?

As others have said, common sense, and awareness of individual allergies. :(

Just off to make a John Major ephagy ( spelling!!) out of egg boxes :o:(xD

Peggy

p.s. Rea, you can visit my preschool any day, should you have the urge to see egg box use in practice :(:D

Peggy

Thanks for the offer Peggy, but after visiting Sue R's nursery, I have decided that visits to good settings only make me depressed when I have to leave and go back to settings where 6/10 is probably as much as I could give. :o

But then again....it does sound like a interesting offer :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)