Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Friedrich Froebel

I have been looking at Friedrich Froebel as part of my FD and have found a quote that I quite like but I'm not sure exactly what it means!

The quote is:

"The purpose of education is to encourage and guide man as a conscious, thinking and perceiving being in such a way that he becomes a pure and perfect representation of that divine inner law through his own personal choice; education must show him the ways and meanings of attaining that goal. (Friedrich Froebel 1826 Die Nenschenerziehung, pp. 2)"

What would you say that meant in English? :o . It's the 'divine inner law' bit that I'm really struggling with!

Thanks!

Id say it means the childs own will and inner desire/motivation to learn and by giving the child the choice they will choose what they need to aid their own development xjojomx

The only thing I recall about Froebel is he said playing with building blocks expressed a childs soul :D

I would say the quote means our role as teachers is to give children the encouragement/motivation/tools and support for them to develop to their full potential by their natural desire/instinct to learn :o

Edited by Marion

Do you think it would link with Maslow's hiearchy, to enable people to reach their 'Self Actualisation'?

How wonderful the English language is. :D

Peggy

I was beginning to wonder too Rea :o

I think if you remember that Froebel was alive in the early 1800's then I think the divine - as in God would have been more of an influence on his thinking than it would be now. Reading that quote in the present day we would interpret it as you have all said above, but I think he did mean working towards being the divine as in Man was made in the image of God. Gosh would we add that to the ELG's as something the chidlren should aspire to!!!

Now I'm exhausted with all that thinking- back to nurse my awful cold xD

The choice he is refering to I think is that Man was given the power of choice by God after Eve's fall. ( That is what people would have believed when Froebel was alive). Therefore the educator would need to encouarge children to learn and experience for themselves and that their learning would then enable them to make the correct choices. They would then become the perfect person, as in the image of the Divine -so to speak.

We add and change meanings as time goes on from our own experiences, but when we read writings by people from the past we need to think of the times that they lived in to interpret what they meant.

Can't comment on the person Peggy mentioned. Terrible to say I have never heard of him/her :o

All I remember about Maslow is triagles :o well the diagram for his hierarchy of needs..........funny the bits that stick in my mind xD

Obviously a visual learner Marion :D

Yes it is a triangle which depicts our needs from.......( wording may not be totally accurate, memory allowing)

base of triangle = basic needs, air, food and shelter...then rising up the triangle..

love, safety and security

esteem of others

esteem of self

the pinnacle is Self actualisation, I would put someone such as Mother Teresa, or Jesus as having reached this - However, my Dad was a great phylosopher in his own way and I do believe that he reached this pinnacle, totally at one with himself. :D

My husband was taught this model in the context of management and motivation, another recent topic on the forum. I learnt it in the context of human development.

Peggy

Obviously a visual learner Marion :D

My husband was taught this model in the context of management and motivation, another recent topic on the forum. I learnt it in the context of human development.

Peggy

Must be Peggy I remembered blocks for Froebel and triangles for Maslow :(

There is an adapted triangle with 8 levels with the top level being Transcendence (helping others to self-actualisation) guess thats us :oxD:(:(

Must be Peggy I remembered blocks for Froebel and triangles for Maslow :unsure:

There is an adapted triangle with 8 levels with the top level being Transcendence (helping others to self-actualisation) guess thats us :(:( :wacko: xD

Wow, now when I am asked what do I do I shall say I am a 'Transcendence Enabler' ( or 'Officer' or 'Professional' or 'operative' :oxD:( ) :rolleyes:

Peggy

Not sure about the "Divine inner law" bit either, but it seems to be saying that we should provide the experience and tools to enable children to develop, but that they should develop their own beliefs from it, and how much they gain from it.

I guess kind of like showing them all the options and letting them decide for themselves, without us putting our oppinions on them.

Maybe "divine inner law" is bit of the nature nurture debate? we will be what we are destined/designed to be.

I may be reading too much into it though. :oxD:)

• 2 weeks later...