Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Consultation Response

Thanks Catma, I've had a quick read of an article in this weeks Nursery World on the subject but haven't had time to read from your link.

My initial thoughts are that there have been changes, although they appear to be more on 'cosmetics', layout, development of supporting resources etc than crucial content such as ratio's, qualifications and 'phonics'.

Apparently out of 45,000 copies of the consultation being distributed there were only 1,800 responses. :o

The major question which I feel has been unanswered is the fact that the EYFS is compulsory in law, and more importantly we will have to follow it to be registered by Ofsted. Is this not compulsory education for under 3's? an interpretation denied by government at the time when the BTTM framework was introduced and the media were up in arms about the move towards under 3's compulsory education.

Peggy

From the meetings I have been in lately I think we are heading for a time when children will not begin their school education until 5/6 in the near future. However care will be as important as the education provided by who knows if the private and voluntary sectors go under. I am in a pathfinder area and from next April we will increase to providing 15 hours instead of 12 free nursery ,wait fot it, care and education. Parents can access it over 3 days ie they can place their child say Mon- 7 hours, Tues,7 hours and Wed 1 hour and this will be free. No longer the 2 and a half educational hours that have been. Will the parents pick private day care, childrens centres or extended schools? At the end of the day it is parental choice but I do not think we are all viable unless we get a level playing field in terms of NEG. The government should allocate the same amount of funding per child to their chosen setting

Thanks Catma.

I wonder what we are going to see in terms of presentation. I guess it's now all down to the training for us to keep the best of the BTTM philosophy. I just have this terrible fear that 0-3's tracking will turn into tick lists and we will lose that massive emphasis on starting from the individual child's needs. As practitioners we need to stand up for that philosophy in any training.

At least they do appear to have listened a little. Let's wait and see what format they come up with as that will go a long way to determining how it's used.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)