Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Motivates You?

:D Appriciation. I left playgroup for loads of reasons but being appriciated was a top one. I didnt want to hear that the committee were unpaid for all the work they did. I was unpaid for half of what I did too along with the rest of the staff. Thank you and well done would have cost nothing but been better spent. After that people you wirk with being interested and wantng to learn and move forward, but I suppose thats what you need motivation for isnt it?

Knowing that I am making a difference to a child, member of staff or a setting. In the supporting role that I do I sometimes take things for granted or think that they are obvious, but to some settings who have got 'blinkered' by their practice, one change could make a big difference.

Yesterday, a head teacher told me that I was 'a very dynamic person' - I've never been called that before and it made me feel appreciated, just like Rea said.

Hmmmm. Good question. I feel the same way about the appreciation thing actually and I think that is why I am feeling the way I am at work at the moment. I think if I were to be appreciated a tad more then I might start to feel better.

Also, feeling like I am making a difference to all the children I work with. Just spending time with the children is a big thing.

Finally, my course motivates me to be a better professional and to do a better job.

Appreciation for me too, just like the children we all need a bit of praise and encouragement, even the odd sticker would be nice!!

The children are always motivating and it is the sole reason I stay in the job. :D

yeah id say appreciation too sometimes you just think why am i spending my weekend writing policies and planning and making resources when nobody ever says thankyou but then i look at my children and i know exactly why im doing it

For me appreciation isn't a motivatoin factor at all. Our foundation team in our school feel very unappreciated. We seemed to be viewed as bottom of the pile - we are the poor relations in our school. My motivation factor is the sheer enjoyment of working with the children

Appreciation for me, too. I briefly worked for a dreadful company, where management was by bullying, if they had to say well done, it was grudgingly so and seasoned with a couple of moans about petty things. When I returned to the setting was at before (where I still am) it was like coming home!!! :D

Sue

Appreication for me too. :D I stayed in a job for 18 months because the nursery owners apreciated me. Unlike the nursery manager anther story! xD Also at college we were talking about what being a team is, we had to write down loads of things and appreciation came out amonst all the small groups working together. :(:o

Beth

Like the others appreciation, not that i get much of it! ~ but a thank you from a parent, or a staff member is great!

Recognition is also important , ie if i do something to make the staff's life easier its nice that its recognised (guess that is the same as appreciation isn't it really! LOL ~ been a loooong day)

although also mostly the children's enjoyment motivates me... my motivation is also in knowing that i am doing the best i can.... if you know your doing your best then its sufficient enough to help keep you motivated.

Dawn

Now if you asked the question what de-motivates me, the list would be very long.......

What motivates me, knowing I've done a good days work, but I don't need others to tell me that because I am so reflective ( and hard on myself) it makes me feel good when I can say to myself, 'that was a good day'. :D many, many things can make it good.

Also I work best when there is a sense of fun within the setting, not to be mixed up with 'messing about' just being joyful, it is all too easy to complain or be complacent, I am motivated especially when others around me are productive and happy. :D children, parents and staff alike.

Peggy

p.s. Knowing that the children have had fun and developed is, as others have said, why I do what I do.

I and my colleagues felt very well appreciated today when the owner came back from tescos with doughnuts and profiteroles for all of us!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

I love listening to the sound of chattering voices in the background.. I like watching children and staff displaying high levels of involvement in chosen activities. I feel happy that staff are following childrens interests and are confident to use any resourse available to them. Lastly I am so happy that staff now keep the cupboards tidy!!!!

My motivation - the belief that the most seditious act I can commit is to help produce people who have the skills and ability to question the world around them and become human beings who can actively take charge of their lives, rather than the unthinking robots it seems governments (any governments!) want to produce.

The love and respect of children, parents and colleagues, most of all from the children.

The paycheck.

Supportive managers who value what I do highly and let me know that. ( Yes they do exist, I urge you all to settle for nothing less!)

13 weeks holiday a year!

The hugs.

My motivation is the children's happiness, to see them progress and then leave for the big world of 'Reception'. My staff motivate me, they work hard and give lots to the Nursery and are very supportive to me and each other. My own ambition also motivates me, I really want to achieve the Foundation Degree by June next year and hope that it will lead to bigger and better things!

This site also motivates me, it helps me keep going when things are tough as I can read about others in similar situations and don't feel alone :)

Knowing that all the extra work I do is valued and appreciated by the people that matter.

Genuinely boosting children's self esteem (more of a mission really), helping them to become confident, independant, considerate and caring people.

Knowing that they like me and trust me.

A happy working environment (most of the time!)

All the like minded people on the FSF!

Being able to work from home doing the admin so I can be here in body at least for my family!

Have composed this to give out and use at the next supervision. I had to do this on a course recently, and found it very interesting, and thought it would be a useful thing to do with my staff, to really get at what makes them tick:

What_motivates_you.doc

Looks good, it would be interesting to see what they put.

I do think that some motivators do change, ie: salary was more important to me as a single parent but now I am married it is not so important. :D

Peggy

Don't know if this is any use to anyone. Was given it on a recent course?

Thanks Shelley, and I thought it was alcohol and hangovers xD:o:(

off out now for a game of darts and some diet coke :(

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)