Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bonfire Night

Hey all

I need to pick your brains! Does anyone do anything a bit different for bonfire night as a topic. We do the same stuff every year and to be honest i am bored! We usually do the following:

Add winter clothes, toffee apples and a bonfire to the homecorner

Make firework pics using the computer

Make wax resitant fire work pics

Use streamers outside to use as sparklers and do firework dances

Build bonfires outside using cardboard boxes and sticks.

Does anyone do anything a bit different?

Thanks

Lola x

I like chalk pictures, easier than wax resist!

Use black or blue sugar paper and dampen it with water, children can do this but make sure it is not too wet! Then draw with chalk.

Colours seem to be more vibrant and set as the paper dries.

we love to do glitter pictures by using a stick or straw to make trails of glue on the paper and then adding glitter and or sequins. can do circles and shapes or spirals all look good whme covered in glitter. we also make chocolate apples with the children with hundreds and thousands stuck on them to take home.

Inge

Guest tinkerbell

We make fireworks out of kitchenrolls=rockets cover with paper and stuff cellophane out of the bottom.

Pictures black paper and shiny,square,rectangle,triangle at the bottom then fluorescent paint dribbled out of the shape and loads of glitter, whilst they are waiting to get to the glitter (tend to let 2 at a time or its everywhere)they can decorate the firework shape with watever.

ICT children to think of firework words type one and change size colour or use word art.etc, blast,fizz,bang etc. It all looks great as a display.

Also do posters on safety

i used to do a Bonfire Night movement/drama which includes firework and bonfire safety. I'm on the Isle of Man at the moment and haven't got the planning on my laptop but I'll post it at the weekend.

We also made firework pictures on black paper with bits of twigs, leaves, tree bark and bright paint and bits of sparkly things. They would look really effective when finished. If you're into writing patterns then draw a volcano shape onto A4 with some random curved lines coming out of the top like shooting fire. then get the chidlren to do writing type patterns on it in lines, zig-zgs, ccc, ooo and such-like, each line a different colour. When finished cut around the outline, and they can be used in a display. Old fashioned maybe but effective, and the children love doing them. Good pencil practice too.

We flick yellow, red and orange paint onto black sugar paper-the children love doing this. We then let them sprinkle glitter over it. It's very messy but effective and fun. We usually do a big one for a display with bonfire words and a small one for the children to take home.

Linda

How about making a 'Guy' out of old clothes which the children could stuff with newspaper. You could then ask the children to name him and to think up 'a life' for him/her. Good opportunity for PSE on feelings etc. Physical - lacing his shoes, tying scarf. etc. Could also create challenges involving the guy.... Making him a hat, moving him around etc.

Making Catherine Wheels. Cardboard circles with spirals drawn on - the children could decorate them with glitter and streamers they could them be nailed to fence (supervised of course!) and they could flick them around with their fingers.

Black sugar paper attached to wall or floor outside, paint inside balloons which could be thrown onto the paper.

Have fun

A huge piece of black fabric, card, paper, we attached our fabric party to the wall and floor with a big plastic dust sheet 12'X12' £2 or £3 from B&Q. Tea bags dipped into slightly watered paint and thrown, stiff bristled brushes dipped in paint and flicked. Very, very messy but lovely results. :D:D

You can make up a solution of icing sugar and water and get the children to paint a piece of black sugar paper with this. Then children flick paint or drip paint on to this. As the paper is wet, the dots disperse and make a lovely picture.

Pictures must be dried really flat, but as they dry, they leave a lovely glossy finish - one of my favourite activities at this time of the year!

Last year we did big splatter pictures outside with black paper, flourecent paint and lots and lots of glitter. The colours were great and because it was outside we could just wash the paint and glitter away afterwards with a bucket of water! The kids loved it as something a bit different. We also made bonfire pictures with twigs collected by the kids and red and orange cellophane.

I have downloaded some firework-type music (classical music with lots of bangs and whizzes - can't remember what it is off the top of my head!). We put it on loudly next to our painting and the children splat paint whilst listening to the music. They really interpret the sounds well.

You can make up a solution of icing sugar and water and get the children to paint a piece of black sugar paper with this. Then children flick paint or drip paint on to this. As the paper is wet, the dots disperse and make a lovely picture.

Pictures must be dried really flat, but as they dry, they leave a lovely glossy finish - one of my favourite activities at this time of the year!

What ratio do you use for icing sugar to water as we've tried this before without success apparently? Is it a thin watery solution or a thicker syrupy solution?

Many thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)