Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Juice

Hi all

would just like to ask other pre-schools if you serve juice at snack time.

we offer a choice of juice, water or milk.

My local primary school has just banned juice from their menu and this has got me thinking about our own choice. :o

would like to know what others think

Jo

We just have milk or water. This came about because we went for (and got) Healthy Schools Gold Award. I don't think many children would drink milk if there was juice around, and we have BIG dental health problems in our area. In fact, our children drink fluoridated milk (with parents' permission), so it is really important for their teeth. We don't have any children complaining about the milk and water, and lots of children help themselves to water in addition to the milk. I do think you would have to explain carefully to parents when making the change, as some get concerned that their child will get dehydrated if they don't like milk or water. In practice, all children seem to drink enough in our nursery.

just milk or water for us as well. i have a little boy in session who reacts very very badly to any colours,additives etc. literally bounces of the walls 10/15 minutes after having juice. but the other children do not mind. the call for milk has gone up since we removed juice and parents are happy with the change.

Me too, just milk and water. I think we are all trying to adopt a more healthy choice during snack time. It suprises me how many parents say my child dosen't like milk and then low and behold the child follows his/her peers and takes milk when offered, to the delight of their parents. Fickle these kids or what!

We are milk and water too. one because of health two because of cost. :D

Peggy

Absolutely, Peggy!

I think as it is, children have access to too many 'unhealthy' things, sweets, crisps, etc and there really isn't a need for it. If children are given healthy foods to begin with, they will never know whether they like it or not. Sorry, I'll get down off of my soap box! This is one of the areas I am quite strict on in my house with Natalie, in the same way that she doesn't have salt or sugar added to food. That said, however, I do allow Natalie to have juice, but it is the fresh fruit variety, watered down.

Have just started offering only milk and water since the start of term, in jugs for children to pour themselves. Most children drink the milk, they enjoy pouring their own and haven't asked for squash. Have one child who is growing out of a milk allergy, he knows to avoid it. This week, he told his mum that he wanted milk at pre-school so mum said that would be OK as he has it on cereal at home, but he changed his mind at snack time.

We have been milk and water for approx two years now.

At first we had about 30 bottles of juice in our kitchen cupboard that parents provided for their children as they insisted their child would not drink water, but when we handed back these bottles (unopened) six months later, they agree with their child drinking water.

Although they do still insist their child will only drink water at nursery, so they still provide juice fo them at home :o

Edited by Lucy P

We are the same we only offer milk or water, but we do allow the parent to bring in a small bottle or flask of their choose if they say their child will not drink milk or water, a some of these children go and help themself to water from the tap during the session, but the mums still insist on bring there own drink in.