Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Crb

Bet you can help with this....I had a CRB when I was playgroup leader, I left and than had one for the supply agency, I'm on the playgroup committee, would I have to be checked as a committee member or would they use the one for playleader, or even the agency? The playleader CRB is around 4 yr's old, the other 1 year. :):)

Very good question mundia. There was talk at one point that they should be renewed every 3 years but then the talk changed to rechecking only if you left the setting and went somewhere new. But I've kind of left but kind of havent, if you see what I mean? :)

There is no law regarding renewals, so it is up to each provider to set a timescale. Three years seems appropriate, but offences could still be committed during that period. The duty is now on the registered body to ensure that all checks and vetting procedures have been carried out.

I think it depends if you were on the committee whilst you were the leader and in that case I would assume that the CRB would fit. However, as you have now left that employment, if I was a member of the committee, I would probably recommend getting another one done in your sole capacity as committee member.

CRB checks are not portable and information should not be shared between providers, so really the one for your agency job is only good for that position (and in reality was only true on the day that the records were checked - but that's the cynic in me talking!)

Our chair person last year used her CRB check from the school she works at and was cleared by ofsted. they clear and check committee all we did was follow instructions on DC2 form which say you have to submit and follow thier instructions to send any CRB already done for that person. They cleared 2 committee on past checks one a taxi driver with a check and the other was our chair. recent Ofsted said they were both cleared and we had letters confirming this.

As a committee member all you do is fill in the DC2 send it with any CRB checks you have i would suggest by recorded delivery and leave it to them...they will soon ask for another one if they want it, they arrange it not the setting and send the forms direct to you not the setting. Just keep asking for info if you do not hear..had to keep pushing for it to be done, we sent 7 forms together only 1 was done so we had to ask and they 'lost the othersd, so more forms and it took 6 months to get 3 claered still working on the others, and at time for committee change! These are the bain of my life never seem to get a commiittee cleared before they leave!!

Asked about rechecks... they said not necessary and no plans to insist at this piont, just keep records of hoew you monitor staff suitability such as regular update of health forms and ensure personal development and appraisals and this is all ok. we fell down on health checks because it did not actually ask how much alcohol we drink over a week!! All else was Ok, norw we have to add the question to a health questionarre which must be updated annually or if there are any health changes inbetween..

Inge

I was on child protection DSP training Tuesday and they were saying checks do not transfer from one place of employment to another unless you move within 3 months.

It is also good practice to update checks. (every 3 years or so I think!!??)

A friend of mine teaches, runs a youth club group and a sunday school group and had to have a seperate CRB check for each group! Lots of form filling for her!

Our school secretary had to go and have her photo and fingerprints taken at the police station as on her form she had some element in common with someone with a record. Fortunately that eliminated her, but provided us with a laugh!

Liz x

I was on child protection DSP training Tuesday and they were saying checks do not transfer from one place of employment to another unless you move within 3 months.

It is also good practice to update checks. (every 3 years or so I think!!??)

A friend of mine teaches, runs a youth club group and a sunday school group and had to have a seperate CRB check for each group! Lots of form filling for her!

Our school secretary had to go and have her photo and fingerprints taken at the police station as on her form she had some element in common with someone with a record. Fortunately that eliminated her, but provided us with a laugh!

Liz x

WOW, surprised they didn't take a DNA swab as well :o

Peggy

quote "we fell down on health checks because it did not actually ask how much alcohol we drink over a week!! All else was Ok, norw we have to add the question to a health questionarre which must be updated annually or if there are any health changes inbetween.."

Inge, what if a person admits to drinking say 1 bottle of wine a day, or over the recommended daily / weekly limit, would this be a legitimate reason for dismisal??? I think not.

I have always worried about what to do with information from health checks, who are we as employers to say a person cannot 'function' because of a particular personal health issue.

These are only done on managers / registered persons I suppose, not all employees. Do the doctors make the decision if the person is unfit??

I do think as an employer I need information about medication that is being taken etc, for the employee's safe care should he/she become ill during working hours but unless someone is taking illegal substances what other judgements, if any would we make with information such as volume of alcohol intake???

Peggy

no peggy,

our inspector wanted health delarations on all staff with this information specifically asked (completed questionairre by them is ok)with annual update declarations as part of our checks for a suitable person for continued employment...i did comment that who would actually delare the truth or not lie on the form but the reply was if they lie it is not your responisbility you have done your duty!!. She did also say that it would be 'good practice' to include other info such as how many cigarettes are smoked in a day and height anf weight.

She said it came about because of a childminder who was an alcoholic and had children in her care had a child drown!!

We had a mention on our report about ensuring checks for continued employment because of it...tried to discuss and say why we did not ask and reasoning behind not needing to... but she was VERY insistant in this one!!

but the previous CRB checks were OK!! and as they are committee it is Ofsted responsibility for checking suitability.

Inge

Edited by Inge

I do my CRB checks through TMG and they say" CRb's should be done for any position that involves working with children. it is not recommended to use a disclosure from a previous employer.

Disclosures are a snap shot in time. a person may have offended since the Disclosure was issued or even be banned from working with children. also additional information may have been released that you cannot see on the applicant's copy. You cannot tell whether the identity check was conducted properly or even if the person handing you the disclosure is who they say they are. sometimes you will be employing people who you know and rust, but unless you carry out the same checks on everyone it will be unfair. you may also be taking serious risks if you do not make thorough checks."

We were told that they had to be redone for every place.

no peggy,

our inspector wanted health delarations on all staff with this information specifically asked (completed questionairre by them is ok)with annual update declarations as part of our checks for a suitable person for continued employment...i did comment that who would actually delare the truth or not lie on the form but the reply was if they lie it is not your responisbility you have done your duty!!. She did also say that it would be 'good practice' to include other info such as how many cigarettes are smoked in a day and height anf weight.

She said it came about because of a childminder who was an alcoholic and had children in her care had a child drown!!

We had a mention on our report about ensuring checks for continued employment because of it...tried to discuss and say why we did not ask and reasoning behind not needing to... but she was VERY insistant in this one!!

but the previous CRB checks were OK!! and as they are committee it is Ofsted responsibility for checking suitability.

Inge

I can see the Inspectors point re: Childminders, who are mainly on their own. It does appear to be a strong reactive stance from such an awful situation. My comment to the inspector would have been that my staff code of conduct and disciplinary procedures would cover 'continuous employment ' factors. ie: if a member of staff continuously took time off for hangovers etc., or if the need for a cigarette provoked negative behaviour towards children. We just have to be careful about discrimination, unfair dismissals etc. In my experience many staff on health check forms have disclosed they are on anti depressants, have back problems etc and this has sometimes impacted on their quality of work, but if the doctor declares them fit to do the job, what else can I do??

Peggy

Tried that one too Peggy, It is in contacts of employment as well as disciplinary procedures but she was still unhappy that the question was not included.

Steph,

Crbs for employees are done for everyone BUT for management and committee it is ofsted who do these not us, so their decision as to whether to use a previous one, which is what happened with us.

Inge

Thank you everyone.

Running Bunny, I'm in complete sympathy with the cynic in you. xD When you say the CRB for the agency is only suitable for that position, that position takes me to numerous settings, so isnt that strange? :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)