Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rose Report

Hello!

Not sure if this is in the right place (how loong have I been here?!) but was wondering if someone could help me (which I'm sure you can!).

I have been hearing about the Rose Report and just wondered what it was and what it was about? I have been out of work for so long that my professional brain is drying up! I gather it's quite an important report, and am a little ashamed to admit that I don't know anything about it :o .

Thanks!

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Clare

The beauty of this site is that no one judges anyone about what they do or don't know,don't worry.

The Rose report (named after Mr Jim Rose) is a government report about reading.

His findings were that children need to have a consistent imput of phonics delivered in a systematic way to make good progress in their reading.Hence all the publicity about synthetic phonics etc etc.

I get the impression that most people on this site use something like PIPS,Playing with sounds (both dfes documents) or Joly Phonics when teaching young children their letter sounds.

In the report too he is not saying the phonic way is the only way of teaching children to read, we all seem to agree that children need the rich variety of wonderful picture books,traditional stories , songs and rhymes, daily being read to etc.

Hope this helps I am sure some one will put more info on for you.

Tinkerbellx

You're not alone!!

Don't feel so silly now Shelley!! :o

Thanks for the link Karrie and for the explanation Tinkerbell! Obviously in the wrong part of the forum then, but at least I now know what it is!

Thanks again! :D

There have been some interesting discussions on the TES early years forum about teaching phonics (www.tes.co.uk and follow links on left hand side to staffroom, then early years).

You can find out more about synthetic phonics at www.syntheticphonics.com

Sythetic phonics starts by teaching phonemes, linking them to letters and then showing how the sounds can be blended (synthesized to produce words.

Analytical phonics involves the analysis of whole words to find phonetic or spelling patterns. The letter sounds are taught in the context of words and children learn to break words down rather than build them up.

Through the Primary strategy there should be phonics input during the next year for practitioners, in response to the rose report, so watch your LA primary strategy training details however you get them. I know our literacy consultants have been working with my FS colleague on this training package already. Also LAs should be designating someone as a CLL consultant who will have a remit for supporting CLL (obviously) but not just within the maintained sector - the expectation is to develop links with the PVi sector also in relation to developing CLL. Some boroughs are getting additional funding for this, following on from the Early reading development pilot this year (we're one of them) but all LAs have been asked to designate someone as far as I recall. So posts for this may start appearing in TES. This is all being disemminated through the Primary Strategy managers so is at a strategic LA level so don't panic if you've not heard anything yet because you probably wouldn't have, not all LAs will have discussed this in any depth probably yet - it was all at the end of the summer term anyway!! :oxD

Cxx

We have already had our phonics input/training from the LA last month and have been informed that all settings in the area will have a Audit in this area sometime in the future, yet to be decided when or who will do it, so far this has been for pre-school settings , nurseries etc .

we were given foundations in literacy book and lots of other info on playing with sounds etc. as well as a music session for teaching alphabet, rhymes and sounds some of which incorporated JP.

overall a full days training/conference with lunch which was so popular that they have had to set up another this term.

Inge

Was Somerset in the Early Reading Dveelopment pilot Inge?

Sounds like an interesting training. I can't remember if there is any PNS funding towards this, usually when there is a requirement to provide something there is (we get a PNS directive re focus work every year and the funding attached to it is allocated to the LA) but I think it varies according to size of borough. Individual boroughs may have additional funds to provide "goodies" but most times it is allocated for providing the release of teachers from schools to ensure attendance as it gives schools the cover costs, and covers our costs for venue hire/food etc.

Cx

Think the key point from the Rose Report...........

'the new Early Years Foundation Stage and the renewed framework should make sure that best practice for beginner readers provides them with a rich curriculum that fosters all four interdependent strands of language:

speaking, listening, reading and writing. The indications are that far more attention needs to be given, right from the start, to promoting speaking and listening skills to make sure that children build a good stock of words, learn to listen attentively and speak clearly and confidently. Speaking and listening, together with reading and writing are prime communication skills that are central to children's intellectual, social and emotional development. All these skills are drawn upon and promoted by high quality, systematic phonic work.'

I have just read a book I found really helpful and interesting on this 'phonics' subject. "L is for Sheep" edited by Sally Featherstone (I think that's right) I got it from Amazon. It's very easy to read and has some great ideas.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)