Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Ofsted Publication / Report

We are all doing well keeping our children safe & sound :D . Want tips to know how to get good or outstanding in this area of your inspection, then this document is the one to read :o:D

here

Peggy

I've just read the article on the BBC site. It starts off saying how children arent safe then goes on to say they've raised the barrier which is why more places got action points and also say that parents can be happy knowing their children are being well cared for. Sounds like the papers needed to fill their pages. :o

Her's a link to the page Nurseries :)

Interesting article Rea, thanks.

97% of settings satisfactory, I think is good. I may be one of the settings that caused the % not to reach 100% because my Inspectors reported that our safety gate to our kitchen is not always closed ( the fact that it was the inspectors who left it open during their inspection was ommitted from the report :( ) and the fact that the kitchen has no hazards was also ommitted. :( I've now decided to remove the gate and let children have full access to our 'safe' kitchen, then next time round they can't comment on the gate at all (hah) xD

We will never get 100% because the judgement of 'risk' is so subjective, what we believe to be safe for the children we currently have in our care ( because we know them) may not be judged the same, as safe, by inspectors ( because they don't know the children).

The media always has to find the negative even out of the positive, don't they. :o

Peggy

Yes thanks Peggy for that report (I think) I keep reading bits of it that say "an Outstanding setting will blah and blah blah" and shouting but we do that, we really do the inspector just didn't see it and how could she :o she spent alot of the session in the kitchen away from the children where it all happens!! :(

our inspector was really nice, but reading this and in hindsight she didn't spend much time with us and the children, more interested in the reams of paperwork we do!! xD

Edited by Guest

I have just read the report before I came on here and then read the BBC report from the link Rea has put up. I have to say I don't think I must have read the same thing as the BBC. The report actually says we are doing a great job, as we already know, but that we can all make improvements, even those who are outstanding and good. I do feel the BBC, as the media always does, has jumped on the negative aspects.

I would recommend reading it and not the BBC site.

Linda

I agree Marion, and that is the sad thing about media reporting. I bet a lot of people would have only read the first couple of paragraphs and made their judgements based on that.

Why is it that childcare, education and health care always get a raw deal from the media? Even when we do something good they have to find fault.

Linda

AAAHH, don't they make you mad :o

I've just added the following comment, but I don't know yet if it will be published.

Ofsted report so that parents can get the full picture. The link is: http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/publications/inde...ary&id=4250

Your headline could have read Children are 'safe and sound' Ofsted finds 97% of settings satisfactory ( which means no actions required).

The link you gave to Ofsted reports is very useful. Every parent should take the time to check on the setting their child is attending. In my preschool I have an open door policy, where parents can visit at any time(with security intercom, I might add) Parents are welcome to visit and check my standards of care at any time.

Mrs P Minter.

Marion,

Do you have this from them? If this is the case it begs a complaint to the Press whatchamacallits!!

After all, they have seriously misrepresented an official government report, and would appear to be gagging anyone with any true knowledge or understanding of the facts!

Sue

Sue I sent a comment

'I don't think you have read the same government report I have just read which states 96% of Nurseries are doing a good job.

Perhaps you should let your readers see for themselves

"

Introduction

Maurice Smith, Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector

Children in registered settings are safe and well cared for

When parents entrust their children to the paid care of registered providers, above all else the children ought to be kept safe and healthy. In the overwhelming majority of cases children placed in the paid care of registered providers continue to be safe and well cared for. This is very reassuring for parents, and for all of us who have a keen interest in the care and education of children in their early years. It also shows how dedicated the large majority of providers are to promoting the well-being of the children they look after.

Safe and sound shows how registered childcare settings help children in staying safe and being healthy, two of the five outcomes which Every Child Matters identified as vital for every child, and which were given legal basis in the Children Act 2004 (see vi in Annex F). The Every Child Matters outcomes have been embedded in Ofsted’s early years inspection framework since April 2005.

From April 2005 Ofsted has raised the bar, in recognition of the fact that the National Standards should now be fully embedded in settings. This means that providers must offer even better provision to be graded as satisfactory.

and received a reply which said thank you for your comment we reserve the right to edit or not to publish. Peggy has also sent a comment which hasnt been published ..........yet! So I am assuming they only want to publish the negative comments that support their story. My partner suggested the Press complaints so maybe I will.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...c=NEWS&ct=5

Edited by Marion

Not been around for a couple of days, but just want to add we got outstanding in this area recently so it is possible, and we didnt realise we were doing so well, just did what we thought necessary.

Press only give the negative, dont read them any more!!

Inge

Guest cathy m
Anybody seen the Daily Mail? :o

Yes and I was fuming xD and posted a comment on their website! Unfortuneately only allowed 1000 characters probably just as well because I could have written an essay. See below for my response

Response to Daily Mail article

I am a Registered Childminder and I am very unhappy at the negative and unprofessional image the article portrays. I offer quality care and education, taking health and safety issues very seriously, carrying out risk assessments on a daily basis. I always update my first aid and child protection training and have many policies, which are shared with parents.

Many registered childminders hold childcare qualifications and are dedicated to their chosen profession. I love my job and manage my business in a professional, caring manner, the children's health and safety is a priority. I have written parental consent for outings, administering medication, taking photographs and many other eventualities. Parents are issued with all of my policies and procedures; I am fully insured and believe in working in partnership with parents, ensuring continuity of care.

I am an experienced, qualified early year’s practitioner and wish to reassure parents that their child's welfare is paramount.

I'm cross again just thinking about it :(:(

Cathy