Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hand Washing

Hi all,

I am trying to decide wether to stick to having children wash their hands in washing up bowls and drying with paper towels, or (as i read with someone who was just Ofsteaded) use antibacterial wipes instead. I feel that using wipes would be easier in our setting.

Which would Ofsted prefer?

We are still using the bowl for art activities and messy play (sand.dough) which Ofsted said was OK and using the wet wipes for before snack time and after if needed, or anytime they might eat, food tasting, parties etc. Ofsted did say this was OK for us, but you know what it's like Hali, in your area or others they may say different, :o

(running water for after toileting with of course paper towels!)

Hi hali

We use bowl and water plus paper towels for washing hands after craft - but this is a pain as it gets sooooooo messy! :o we use soap and water and paper towels in the sink at the toilets before baking activities, and we use hand wipes before eating snack - the introduction of wipes has been absolutely great :D - but we haven't yet had a 'new style' Ofsted Inspection, so I don't know what they will say? We introduced the hand wipes when we changed our snack routine from all eating together to introducing something similar to the Snack bar mentioned on this forum not so long ago - we found it was taking a big chunk from the session for hand washing all the children before snack time. Our Pre School is in a church building, so the children have to be accompanied to the toilets and wash basins (which are situated out of the room along a corridor and by the main door which others use whilst we are in session, and sometimes not closed properly :( ) the hand washing in the basins was not always effective as the basins and soap dispenser are adult height, so some children needed lifting or use a stool, plus hands weren't always clean, and needed adult assistance to redo the washing etc. :( When we introduced the wipes it was an instant hit, a brilliant time saver, and encouraged lots of thorough hand cleaning xD - children could access them easily and they are disposed of hygienically. All the children enjoy wiping their fingers individually using the wipes to full effect. We do not want to return to using the water and paper towel method at all - and hope that we are not challenged by the big 'O' for our current practice. We'll fight our corner if we have to!

Must add though - generally our wipes are cleansing wipes as the anti bacterial wipes are not that easy to come by, and can be quite expensive too. We have only had one child who brought in his own wipes due to allergies.

This doesn't really answer your question as to which Ofsted would prefer - but given the choice Hand wipes win every time at our Pre School.

We use a bowl and towels for washing hands for craft activities, children wash theres hands in the toilet after toileting but at snack time we use antibaterial liquid the kind that dries instantly. We hada combined inspection earlier this year and the Ofsted inspector said this was okay - preferred it to us taking 20 children to the toilet on mass. A word of caution thought - you have to be careful with cuts as it stings, we had one child who had a raction to it because she rubbed it on a sore area on her face and had quite a bad reaction to it.

Smiles

i have just emailed the big 'O' to ask and they just told me that they couldnt help i would have to ask my local EY or Surestart dept..... great help hey... :o

Thanks for your response i really like the sound of babywipes..... :D

That would be the ideal, however our setting is in a village hall and very old and rickety!

Our other nursery has that kind of set-up and it works much better when the children can be independent doesn't it, we have to make the best of what we have.

Edited by Guest

We had the same with ofsted regarding hand washing. Now like many other groups we use the anti bac hand cleaner which is avaible in tescos & superdrug. Unlike the wipes you have no rubbish to clear up, the tub is small so is great for taking out with you. Our Early Years advisor said this was ok to use.

This makes me remember many years ago when i helped out at our group, the play leader was a good old girl but a stick in the mud & refused to use paper towels as they cost to much. she would use a tea towel. In the days of social services inspections which some how she knew when they would visit, the dusty paper towels would come out. Well the children thought this was great fun during that morning the towels went in the water, in the air, flown like kites, in the role play for the baby dolls, stuck up the walls & flung across the floor.The bin became a drum, football & baby carrier. Hmmm do you think the inspector noticed? the children had a great time with new activties to try!!!!. Gosh reflecting back makes me apprecate where the play group is now at.

• 6 months later...

Our e y advisor plus one other came in yesterday. it was commented on that the hand wash bowl for craft only was not changed during the session. quite right it was not changed fair comment not good practice not good hygiene etc. Aparently a setting near us has just had Ofsted and although the hand wash, craft bowl was changed every half an hour with a rota to promt staff this was still not enough. the recomdation from Ofsted was to provide fresh running water. Not always possiable if like us you are in a hired hall. I thought about getting a medium sized drinking water dispenser with a bowl underneath to catch the flood when it arrives! If you had two you could have one on the go and one waiting in the kitchen ready. Can you imagine the mess untill they get used to it!!

Interesting reading this past post - having just been inspected here in Scotland I was told we are not allowed to use anti bacterial anything (soap, spray, wipes etc) as they are too harsh for childrens skin - we have to use ordinary hand soap and clean our snack table with good old hot water and a cloth. She also said that in the anti bacterial soap is an ingredient used to fight MRSA in hospitals and an over use/everyday use of it means MRSA is becoming resisent to it.

Megsmum

p.s. it will probably go full circle in 10 years time like everything else and then we will have to use it again :o

we had Ofsted visit us back in May last year, our baby room were using a bowl and paper towel to wash the bigger children's hands and we had a recommendation for this as the water is not clean once a child has used it. Does this help?

We have just recenty had Big O in

They didnt like us using a bowl for the same reasons as mentioned dirty hands in dirty water need to use fresh running water, also they said the children should be washing their hands after snack as well as before and after each activity sand, water painting playdough, where does it stop!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)