Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eprofile In Nursery?

Our new FSCO went on an FSP curse last week (she has no experience in FS so is'cathcing up') and came back claiming that there will be future requirement to fill in the eprofile in nurseryfrom next year from the beginning of the year so that by the time the children reach the end of reedception there will be 2 years of entries on it.

My suspicion antennae are working overtime and I think this could be her putting her own spin on the situation, but has anyone esle heard or been told this? I dodnt think there was space anyway to record nursery for the whole year and how managebale is it to keep 2 cohorts on the eprofile? Im really not keen on this replacing our own nursery profile which we have spent some considerable time developing.

What say you?

Have found this after a google search for eprofile in nursery.

I wouldnt think you would be advised to do away with all your nursey records on this basis though, especially with your pupils characteristics.

Good Luck!

"Our new FSCO went on an FSP curse last week"

Can't help with query, but couldn't help noticing this 'freudulant' slip. :o

I do think it would be common sense to have a national system for transition reports that go from any Nursery / preschool to reception, which enables reception teachers to continue assessments to the profile without having to do 'at entry' assessments when children are settling in to school.

However, I had a chat with a teacher ( at consultation meeting for the new EYFS) who pointed out to me that nursery's / preschools may assess a child at a certain level on a particular knowledge / skill, which the child can achieve within the context of 1:8 ratio's, yet when the child enters reception the child is sometimes unable to manage / show the same knowledge / skill at the nursery level, in an environment with less adult support, lower adult ratio's.

This is another debate altogether, but did make me think that as we will rarely have children experiencing the whole of the F Stage in one setting from start to end, we really do need to look at how assessments are done, monitored and communicated and followed at the transition time as the child moves into schools. How do we communicate fully our knowledge of the whole child who has been with us for 1-2 yrs, how much do children 'lose' knowledge, skills, attitudes, or how much do they have to re-learn, as they adapt to new learning environment and contexts?

Hopefully this will be seriously considered when the new EYFS is finalised.

Peggy

p.s. I would hate to follow a course, say a 4 yr Degree and spend 2 years doing it at one university, to have to change to complete the last 2 years at another University, especially if the 1st 2 yrs work was not fully communicated and therefore not recognised by the 2nd university.

The e profile has capacity to complete at the end of Nursery - maybe this was misunderstood?!?!? The FSP data only has to be reported at the end of FS anyway. We have a "pre profile" in our borough which feeds "seamlessly" into the FSP and works really well. Most pre school settings use it which really aids transition. Anyyone who is going to be making FSP judgements needs to be trained about how to make/moderate them accurately.

HI tea lady

any chance of getting hold of the ' pre-profile' as I am about to go into Nursery and work my socks off over the hols in order to make such a record. Would you be willing to share?

thanks apple

I attended a seminar in Brum about the FSP end of year arrangements in May and we were show that the new version

(not out yet) enables you to input the nursery children from entry. They are hoping it will be available for start in September.

I guess that ight be the same seminar then SS65.

Perrhpas its my very weary brain, but I do worry about he impact of an assessment led curroculum on our youngest chidlren.

I also dont want to complete extra work because our profile is quite balanced and thorough. I dont really want the entire nursery eyar to be summed up in a few statements. I know that skilled practitiners apprecaite the depth of the curriulucm is more than the profile statemenst but since this will become the yardstick with which we will be measured in te future, there will alwasy be the less skilled practition ers who who focus their teaching on just those points in order to prove progres. I am sure that our FS team next year that doesnt include a single FS quailified teacher (not counting me as i have lost my own class next year) is not the only one in the country in thisn position?

Am i the only one seeing it from this perspective?

PS Peggy, I alughed at teh 'curse' of teh FSP...you see my keyb oard just isnt as good as it used to be

"Perrhpas its my very weary brain, but I do worry about he impact of an assessment led curroculum on our youngest chidlren"

I agree entirely, I do wonder how much the 'transition' between settings ( nursery - School) does have an impact on the 'reliability' of assessment outcomes.

For example, my grandson started school last september ( age 4.2), he took with him his record of transfer, written for each area of learning and included next steps, however, the format doesn't allow for communicating his learning style. His progress and stage is assessed through 2 years of observations- some of which do not 'fit' into the written curriculum. His next 'report' written in february, identified the same 'next steps' as the ones he had in September :o

I think it is really hard for preschool practitioners and teachers alike to juggle with producing objective assessments when their teaching skills are affectively judged by whether a child can reach, or is working toward what are mainly subjective goals.

Peggy

Steve - Don't have contact details but I recently heard a presentation by Jan Dubiel who is the Principal Officer for the Foundation Stage Profile National Assessment Agency, I would guess that he might be the person you want to contact and from comments he made he does sometimes scan this site, so a direct appeal might work?

I doubt a mirror would do much good either steve!

Please please tell me someone where it says nursery children SHOULD be scoring at least 3 on the FSP BEFORE they start reception.

Jan's email is jan.dubiel@naa.org.uk - very helpful and nice man he is too! He is the principal officer for the FSP.

Suffolk LEA devised the e profile but have no responsibility for its use in other LEAs - they should provide their own technical supply (says this when you download it.) I find the handbook ok but not marvellous - this site is the best support there is!!!!!

Thanks for this, tea lady! :)

I had heard previously that Suffolk was responsible for developing it, but couldn't find out where or who I might be able to speak to who was still involved with any technical development...

• 3 weeks later...

I have just transferred the new F2 children's Nursery Learning Record data into the eProfile... very useful info coming out. Great from a FSCO's Value Added/SEF point of view. Now wanting to ensure I get the new F1 chn's data on there asap, i.e. a few weeks into Autumn term, but my eProfile (v. 2.4.3) doesn't seem to go beyond Cohort 2007. Does anyone know of an update to rectify this?

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)