Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Calm And Relaxed Person

just had a PDI with some of my senior managers (who I don't really get along with) and they started criticising the smallest things and making them seem really really big issues... for example... they don't want me to give the children 'high-fives' for doing something well or good work... the children in my class love them... and will always ask for one instead of a sticker! - they said it's to excitable and I need to have a 'calmer' classroom!!!!???

That's not the way I am... I'm energetic and enthused about most things in school and can't be... and I quote "more calm and quieter"! They said a whole bunch of other things too which to be quite frank really hacked me off... all comparing the way I teach to the way 'they' think people should teach i.e. 'all sit down and listen to me, don't speak unless your spoken to, don't express yourself unless I say so, don't you dare do something a bit crazy or outside the box incase you... :o get too excited xD

The way people teach is such a personal thing... and people get the best from the children by teaching in a way that's meaningful and comfortable to them... and I think telling someone to change the style of their teaching is ridiculous!!!! - I feel like crap... the 'experience' card they keep playing doesn't wash anymore... the fact that they've been teaching for many more years than me doesn't make them right... and I know it doesn't make them wrong either... but I'm not trying to impose the way I like to teach on others... I'm just refusing to have someone else tell me to change my style...

The children respond to me really well... the parents have never been anything other than complimentary about how much more confident the children are this year etc etc.... and other teachers in the school appreciate the way I am with the children... ggrrrraaaarrrggggghhhh!!!

I don't really know what I want people to say to this post. I just wanted to vent my feeling to anyone who cares to listen. I wish I'd taken that other job now... I would've done if I'd known what I know now!!! :ph34r:

anyway... so you've got something to answer... :ph34r: mmmm... :ph34r: what's everyones opinion on 'high-fives'?

:(:(:( :wacko: xD :rolleyes: :unsure: ;):ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

You sound like a fantastic teacher. You know that the children are doing well with you, and that they are enjoying their time you, and thus progressing. It sounds like you are really enthusiastic, and the children will be enthused by this also.

To have had parents give you compliments also is brilliant.

I'd be annoyed also, especially as you're doing a brilliant job.

They need to remember that all people teach in different ways, and that the children need a balance of approaches.

Keep up the good work and stick up for yourself x

We care to listen Paul.

I work in a pre-school so I don't know what the 'correct' procedure should be in a school but as a parent of children in year R and year 3 I would have no problem with 'high-fives'!

If children are happy, confident and at ease with their teacher then they will achieve so much more. In the pre-school environment we have a lot of fun with the children, playing silly games and joking around, which the children love. I thought the 'backs-up straight and only speak when spoken to' days of schooling were long behind us!

((((paul))))

You sound a fab teacher, I bet they are just jealous. Teaching style is personal, you need to be able to work how you feel comfortable. I can't understand what their problem is if the kids are happy, confident etc... :)

I expect and almost hope someone says this about me!!!!

However I have been told my energy and enthusuiasm makes some feel inadequate.......

Carry on with what works for you and your children

Sharon

What a boring load of people they are this PDI gang. You sound a bit mad like me (in the nicest possible way) Carry on as youn are. That is you after all and who they employed because they liked you and your personality. :(:o:(xD :wacko: :(

I think you should start a 'high ten' revolution and double the excitment, joy, and fun. :o:(

You've got me wondering now, do some teachers 'act' out what they think a teacher should be like, between the hours of 9am & 3pm, or are they like that all the time, even at home?

Ask any adult who their favourite teacher was, and it will be the teacher with a 'real person' personality, not the ones who behaved like teachers in the class and who were different out of class. Also you will find that the teacher they remember the best is the teacher they learnt most from. They will describe him / her as the teacher with a 'real person' personality, not the ones who behaved like teachers in the class and who were different out of class.

does that last paragraph make much sense? I must admit, I'm nuttier at preschool than I am at home. And the children love it, they also respond best to me when being supervised / disciplined, because they know me for who I am, I don't have to pretend / role play being a teacher, just to be able to teach them.

Thumbs up works as well, especially with a wink added. xD Much better than boring stickers, much more personal and direct, and can be given just at the right time. :)

I think an action like that from a teacher stays in the memory, yet a sticker once it's lost it's stick, is crumpled up and thrown in the bin, and is soon forgotten after a short while.

Peggy

I'm crazy with my class we do all sorts of weird and wonderful things don't worry about it!

There should be more teachers like you! :D

Somebody clever (not me!) once said 'Where the environment is stupid, or prejudiced, or cruel it is a sign of merit to be out of favour with it'. I often need to hang on to this thought and I think you should too. If this thought doesn't work then I find locking myself in the loo and making frantic v-signs also works wonders.

Whilst the most important people, the children and the parents, appreciate you the boring people obviously don't. Perhaps it's time to move on - their great loss, not yours.

Lots of love

Moose

In the past, when I've had my doubts about what other teachers have said to me... I've looked towards the children and parents for confirmation. If they are enjoying themselves and learning .... that in my opinin sums up who I listen to and act as the best critiques of my endevours. I have a tendancy to go a little overboard and excitable ....... but hey... you only live once!

(Hate to admit it but it is equally true if something doesn't quite work- after all a whole class can't be wrong and I must have not done something right!)

I'm curious - know what a high five is - but how do you do this with whole class (hope that doesn't make me sound boring!)

Paul, you sound as if you do a fantastic job and if the children are responding to you, there cant be much to worry about.

I was wondering what you'd decided about the other job, some heads can be quite unpleasant once they discover you are interested in moving elsewhere, could this be the situation now?

Not long til the end of term now, hang in there!

That's crazy!!!!

Surely we go for what motivates the children, and if getting a high-five from you is their incentive and it works then who's to say that it's right or wrong. I know plenty of my children who really aren't that fussed about stickers and proceed to take them off and fold them up etc. moments after they've been awarded. Also, if we consider the whole VAK thing, surely a high-five is more 'K', if you see what I mean!!

I don't think it matters if your class isn't calm and quiet (in fact who wants sedentry children) and have seen plenty of classes where the character and style of the teacher runs through the whole class.

Keep doing what you do best - and look for a new job somewhere more fun! (but only if that's what you want!)

Everyone has said it really Paul, but from a parent's view you sound like an exciting, enthusiastic teacher, what can anyone have negative to say about that, that is brilliant qualities to have, the children reflect your qualities in the classroom, High Fives, winks, thumbs up, stickers whatever form of reward a child recieves it's a positive and appreciative experience for them, we all need praise and encouragement and I am sending you a virtual High Five, stand firm and don't change who you are - what you bring into the classroom is individual, that is something we all have to offer isn't it??

Not being appreciated by other staff can be demoralising for you, maybe they're jealous :o - the children probably like you better!!! :)

Hi Paul

Can't add much to what's already been said - just keep doing what works for you, I'd say :D I often do high fives with my class too :o

I'm liking Peggy's high tens, though...

I am loving some of the replies in this thread. :D Keep at it Paul - don't let them wear you down. As a parent I really would prefer my children to be enjoying their time at school. Sitting quietly doesn't inspire me and I'm sure it wouldn't inspire the children either.

Wow you guys... thanks for all your support... I especiallly like the quote from skylight about being judged by the children and the parents.... by the people who matter the most... we should all run away and start a school together hahahaha :D

I met with my head today and I presented him with a written account of everything that we 'do well' in reception and basically tried to make him eat his words... so hey, we'll see how it goes...

thanks again for all your support... you're so supportive and this site is such a valuble outlet!

~ Porl

Guest cathy m

Hi Paul

I've only just read your post but wanted to offer my support. You sound inspirational and that is soooooo needed in primary schools. When my youngest son was in year 4 he had a teacher also called Paul (may be it's a Paul thing!) that teacher, was fab the children responded brilliantly and many parents acknowleded their children had progressed more that year than all previous years.

keep your spirits up and don't let them get you down! unfortunately the wonderful teacher my son had was worn down by an unsupportive head and constantly criticised. He came out of teaching a few months ago, such a loss to our school with many still talking about his inspirational strategies.

Don't change how you interact with the children, I'm sending you a present from 'teddy'

Cathy :o

present_from_teddy.doc

I do supply at loads of places and a pattern is emerging. :o Settings with shouty adults who give commands rather than talk, and expect little robots rather than individual little bodies tend to have children who dont listen, wont sit, hit out and cant share, shout rather than talk to their peers, tell tales and cry with no tears. Spooky eh? Keep doing what you're doing Paul :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)