Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Deputy Supervisor Question

I previously posted asking for advice on interviewing for a new deputy supervisor. We found a lovely lady who was very experienced in pre-school BUT rang up a week after she accepted the job to say her pre-school where she was covering for maternity leave has asked her to stay.

So we are again looking for a deputy supervisor. The advert cost £123 this time xD

Parents are panicking that we haven't found one and are talking about moving pre-schools. The current deputy is not helping this matter :o

Anyway a lady we know well (her 2 boys came to us) is currently half way through her NVQ 3. A teacher at a local school said that they had a deputy who was training for level 3 and she had cleared it with ofsted. Has anyone else heard of this. It would solve a lot of problems!

Thank you in advance

a very stressed out Laura

I was under the impression as long as your were working towards a level 3 qualification you can act as deputy supervisor, in fact at our setting our supervisor has only just gained her NVQ3 and has supervised for 3years, (previously worked for the nusery for 3 years before studying.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for that fast reply Shirel. I am really stressing about it at the moment. It is my mums pre-school but she is away until Tuesday. I'm on maternity leave from my teaching job. A member of staff rang me last night to say that she had heard that some parents were thinking of leaving. Needless to say i was then awake half the night worrying about it all so i've made a 4 page notice for the door telling parents not to worry and that it will all be sorted out. We have not had much interest in the post at all so i have re-advertised it as a job share. Not heard anything yet from it but i think that poeple think its the work number so i hope to get some calls next week. The lady who is training currently works as a TA so our only worry is that she hasn't had pre-school experience - apart from her own 2 boys :o I think i will give her a ring to see if she is still interesed though.

She could be offered the post, if you feel that she is competent to do the role.

You would need to cover yourself by having an action plan which states:

The date by which she will achieve her level 3;

How you feel her current skills, knowledge and experience fulfill the post;

What training you will put her on in order to bridge any gaps.

Shelley

If the deputy is working towards an NVQ3 is she still allowed to take the session if supervisor is ill? Worked in the setting for 5 years. I was told that she couldn't!

Really put spanner in works. Need to be sure. You get one answer from one person and another from someone else!!!!

Also can someone just starting NVQ3 be a senco? Again has experience, but has only got NVQ2.

I worked as a deptuy manager for about 5 months before I qualified with level 3. I was under the impression that as long as you were at least a level 2 working towards a level 3 then that would be ok!

Edited by Clare

It's ok as long as you are certain that the person can do the job, and that you have your action place in plan. Ofsted want to know when they will be finishing their level 3, as some people take years to finish! They want to see that the person is committed to finishing their training.

I used to work for a local authority, helping settings with recruitment. We used to get this issue come up all of the time - sometimes it was for the actual supervisor, not just the deputy.

Ofsted are aware that it is sometimes difficult to get the right person for the job. They would rather see someone working towards a level 3, who has the right skills, etc, get the post, than someone with a level 3 who is totally unsuitable.

Ofsted do make exceptions, but they don't want to put them in the standards, otherwise lots of setting would start employing level 2 people for senior roles.

Just having a level 3 qualification isn't enough. We can probably all think of level 3 people who would not be suitable for a deputy post in a million years.

You should also keep your interview notes. These will also act as evidence that the questions you used tested out the person's suitablility for the role,

Shelley

Edited by Guest

I was made Deputy supervisor when I had JUST started the Level 3! I was doing the Cache DPP via distance learning and I was allowed to take up to 2 years to complete it! (I didint take that long though!). I know that my supervisor had to register my name with ofsted as I was also 'acting supervisor' once a week then!. I hope this helps!

Jenni B