Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Thoughts For An Article On The Fsf

JulesMick

Hi everyone. I'm currently working on an article about the Foundation Stage Forum itself, and I'd like to include some reasons why you guys use it and what you get from it. This can be anything from planning ideas to support through an Ofsted inspection. Whatever you want to say really. I may quote a couple of things in the article.

Thanks in advance for the feed back.

Juliet :)

Hi Jules.

I came across the FSF by doing a Google search for information on the Founation Stage. My initial problem was planning, trying to work out a suitable format and everyone here was great. I received loads of help and support and was told to calm down and take a break from it. From that first post, I have been addicted and I like to see what others are doing, sharing information and generally just talking about all things EY.

I only joined in Feb this year but I am used to the people on here and I can now identify when someone hasn't been around for a while. Because everyone is so friendly and supportive, I tend to worry when someone hasn't been around and wonder if everything is ok! Really sad, aren't I?!

It is great being around other professionals who clearly take thier roles seriously and want to provide the best care and education for their children. I have worked in many settings over the years where this is not a priority and I feel as though I am fighting a losing battle.

I like the fact that there are a variety of individuals, all with different experiences in different roles to turn to when the going gets tough. I especially like the virtual wine that gets sent my way!

I think the forum is fantastic for all of these things but I think it is the members that make it a great place to come. There is no criticism of a person when they may have perhaps not done things correctly, but there are alternative ideas offered so that individuals can learn from situations. I suppose it is, for me anyway, a bit like extended family. I check in all the time and most nights, I'm the last one standing.

Those are my thoughts on the FSF anyway, I hope you find them useful and good luck with the article. Looking forward to reading it. Also looking forward to the next instalment of Clemmie's Column! :D

Edited by Clare

Hi Jules

Clare has probably expressed most of the reasons why many members come on to the forum and find it so addictive.

I too stumbled across the site while searching on the internet for FS related articles and ideas. That was in April 2003 not long after it all started and I have logged on every day when I can since, at least once. I am a moderator. I find I don't post as often as I used to, but that is only because the membership has grown so much over the three years and it's good to let others have the opportunity to put ideas forward.

For me, I feel, it is the mutual respect we have for each other, whether we work in maintained or private and voluntary settings. I have learnt a lot about schools and nurseries, not least that they often have the very same problems that I have owning a private pre-school. And I am sure that maintained settings have learnt a lot about us.

But there is not only so much support for work but also for people in their personal lives. You can come on here and let off steam, shout at the world, have a cry, or let everybody know your good news. There is always somebody who will reply and sympathise or celebrate with you.

So "THANK YOU" Steve and Helen for setting up this fantastic site in the first place, and to Steve especially for maintaining it as he does. Long may it last!

Linda

Hi Jules,

I agree with everything said so far. This site is brilliant. I am learning all the time and am planning to make some very positive changes in my setting because of thought provoking ideas I have learnt about from the wonderful people who use this site. :D I feel so much more confident taking over as supervisor from September knowing that I am not alone. I have the support of my small team of staff plus all the members on the fsf that offer their support and love. I think the time that members seem to spend on this site says it all. I hope that in the future I can give back as much help as I have received. Whenever one of the girls at work get stuck for an idea I say don't worry I'll search the fsf later. I haven't yet not found an answer to our problems!

Absolutely agree with all that's been said so far, plus - some of us have gone that little bit further with the 'family', 'support' thing and developed friendships. It's weird to say that some of your best friendships are with folk you've perhaps never met, but I feel there are some individuals here who have become 'Friends'. Ones I would discuss real personal issues with anytime, and have felt comfortable enough to be rude and disappear or something/have a tantrum in their virtual presence and not feel (too) bad afterwards. I've only physically met one so far, and she was just as I'd expected, hoped - we were as crackers as each other!! :o Hope to meet more soon - although the prospect with one is a tad 'challenging' - but that's what we're good at, in Early Years xD !

Sorry, any help? Rambling a bit, but this is such a 'home from home' I slip easily into my normal operational status!!

Sue :D:(

All of the above. It's a fantastic place to go, overflowing with life saving/time saving resources, professional, dedicated people who'll take time out to help each other even though their up to their armpits. I love the range of advice, unbiased, kindly offered, which helps us to come to a balanced view/decision. Totally addictive!

Deb

Difficult to know where to start

People at work including LA people must be fed up of me saying 'well I saw this on the forum'

Its totally addictive and I check in every day, miss it on holiday sad eh

Gives us ideas, provokes thought, makes us laugh, keeps you up to date and most of all SUPPORT from people who never judge, challenge yes but its great.

Becoming quite emotional now. I think I need chocolate.

Jo

Having read the Ice Balloon thread need to add

Its good to know there are other people out there who are as mad as you!!

Jo :o

I would agree with everything said so far. I think it is a great life-saver for Foundation Stage Practitioners in schools. It can be very lonely being the only one, or two FS staff in school. There are lots of pressures from other staff and SMT who don't really understand what we do and what good practice is. Demands are made which are totally against what should be happening in FS. On here there are like-minded people who understand. There have been many times when I have come on here and been reassured that ' no it isn't me who has got it wrong'.

We also have some truely inspirational people, who are always honest and supportive, and whom we can trust. What else is there to say?

love it - I'm an addict.

What can I add - this is my FAVOURITE, FAVOURITE website. If I need any help or guidance I check here before any 'official' website, as people on here are doing the job, not working in an office on the latest initiative, but having to deliver the goods. Everyone is so supportive and positive. I've had advice and ideas that have quite literally seen me through some very difficult times. I'm sending virtual hugs to all my virtual friends.

And in the words of every Oscar winner - Thank you so much .... I love you all.

Harricroft

Ps - a special thank you to Steve and Helen :D:D:D

I would like to refute the statement about being 'crackers'. I have no idea how to just at the moment but please stay tuned until normal transmisson is resumed :o:D......We thank you for your patience :D

I joined for help with planning initially and couldnt stay away. I cant think of the number of times I've gone into work with ideas from people on here, I confess to feeling a bit stale at times and this site was like having a fresh mint. I now work supply but come on here to keep abreast of things. Training courses are difficult to access nowadays and it's a lifeline for information on new ideas, government initiatives and the latest Ofsted requirements. I'm always repeating things I've discovered on here, two days ago I was searching for help with planning for BBTM because the setting I'm in is struggling. Some settings havent had an Ofsted for ages and dont know what to expect so I tell them what I've read on here about other peoples experiences. This site is so much better than trying to trawl through official sites, especially when Peggy can speed read and feedback in the time it takes me to switch the computer on :D I also use the huge bank of knowledge from other members when I find myself in a setting that challenges my way of seeing childcare! In other words there are some bl**dy horrible people out there who should be working in the prison service, and people on here calm me and help me to look at other ways of doing things :D (I never had any virtual wine though xD )

I'm going away next weekend and our hotel has internet access so we'll see how adictive this site really is then.... Looking forward to the article

Wow! Thanks to all so far who have contributed their thoughts. I am fairly new to the Forum myself and I am amazed and moved by how kind, welcoming and supportive everyone is. I don't get to post as often as I would like as I'm often too busy writing for it or trying to get the famous (infamous?) Clemmie to stay asleep so that I can write for it! Reading these posts you can really see what a wonderful community the Forum has created. I hope my article does it justice!

Thanks again to you all,

Juliet

What can I say...........I ENDORSE ALL THE ABOVE

F[/color]un

Supportive

Friendly

plus I'd like to add, IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU CAN'T SPELL :D

Many times I have joined "Supervisor support / lunch groups, Early Years Forums, even PLA Branch committees, Area EY groups all in the virtual world - they tend to fall in membership / attendence because of time constraints, access to venues, Agenda constraints, personality clashes, hidden agenda's etc.

The FSF is right here, right now, 24/7, and in the comfort of our own home, wine included xD

and covers EVERY SINGLE ASPECT of our profession, here at our fingertips, I have;

Gained endorsement about what I do & think

Been challenged to think further

Learnt what I didn't know

Learnt more about what I do know ( in so many different contexts)

Reminded of what I did know but had forgotten

Learnt what I need to know ( new initiatives)

Learnt what I didn't know I didn't know :o

Been directed in where to find excellent resources

got lots of hugs and laughs :D

Passion

Motivation, and last but, I'm sure not least

I think most important to me I have found a whole new world of new friends who care, about me, about each other, and through this for the first time in my 22yr career I have felt truly valued as a Professional and that the Early Years is a highly valued Profession.

A BIG, BIG thank you to Steve and Helen ( should get OBE's- for services to the Early Years) for making this all possible.

Peggy

A BIG, BIG thank you to Steve and Helen ( should get OBE's- for services to the Early Years) for making this all possible.

Peggy

Hear, hear!!! :D

I don't think I could teach in Reception without this site. I found it, by accident, when I was at a really low ebb. Everyone was so kind and supportive that it really helped me to turn things around.

Working in a small school, where I am the only Reception teacher, can be very lonely and you doubt yourself constantly because the only person making decisions is you. Having this site gives you the opinions, expertise, thoughts, feelings and support of hundreds of people. The things I currently do in my class are hugely influenced/completely stolen from things that I read on here.

I'm not a person who does gushing very well but the subscription fee I pay to belong to this site is the best money I've ever spent.

Thanks again for all these thoughts. I'm not exactly sure where the article will be published - but it might be in one of the Nursery magazines...watch this space and the all-knowing Steve will update us!

Better get back to writing it or there won't be an article to publish!

Jules

Guest MaryEMac

Can I just say that I agree totally with everything that has already been said. i first heard about this site from Cambridgeshire Care and Ed when they told us that they would pay the subscription for us to join if we were interested.

I signed up for it and have been hooked ever since, in fact I often go into playgroup and say "I went on the forum last night and.....". My staff roll their eyes as if to say now what has she found. I love it, there is a wealth of information out there from like minded people. long may it continue. :oxD

Mary

Guest tinkerbell

I came across the site last July (must remember to renew my membership!)

I was delighted,as a teacher in a very successful small school (4 classes) teaching a mixed reception year1 class the site has been wonderful.

To find professional advice which backs up your ideas and then gives you the support to take them into your classroom practice and to management has been great.To read messages from collegues on a regular basis .. they do become friends as Peggy says and I do look for sound advice from regular contributors....no one takes the 'p' everyone is very supportive of everyone newcomers and oldies...its a brilliant site and I have to have my daily fix.

Thanks to everyone concerned for keeping the FSF going so well.

Tinkerbellx

Hi -

To be honest I've been staying away from this discussion - bit difficult to know what to say in response to the comments (although I do quite fancy the idea of an OBE! :D ).

We thought it would be a good idea to see if we could put an article into one of the nursery journals to let more practitioners know about the Forum - possibly Nursery World as they have regular 'let people know' type articles. Not sure yet though - we'll obviously let you know if we have any success. If no-one else wants it - well, then we'll publish it ourselves.

But you know how enjoyable Juliet's writing is - I'm sure someone will want it! :)