Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sun Cream

Hi fellow forumites

Day Nursery with 50 children on premises from the age of 2 - 4 years.

Another issue has arisen.

Sent a note out to parents saying:

If their child only attends half day (am or pm) could they please put sun cream on before they arrive.

Sent consent forms to parents where the child stays all day requesting:

Sun cream to be supplied to the nursery as we need to apply this at lunch time.

I thought - quite straight forward.

We have children arriving without protection - even though we have said they may not be able to go outside, and parents saying that they have put the suncream on and that it will last all day!

We use to have our own cream years ago but after a child reacted badly to it we have insisted they supply their own.

WHAT DO OTHER SETTINGS DO?

Julie(a deputy)

Exactly the same Julie!

Our children only attend mornings and we still insist the parents supply us with sun creams and sun hats for all the children, as they may 'forget' to apply cream before pre-school. This is particularly true of parents who have older children to get ready for school and most of our parents have two or more school aged children!

I think you've done the right thing!

Hi Julie -

At my wife's nursery, they've reviewed their sun protection policy recently using the SunSmart organisation's advice as guidelines. You can find their website here.

I've attached the nursery policy with this. They do supply their own suncream but only with parent's consent. It's not a full daycare setting (only four hours) so there are probably factors you need to consider which they don't. Hope it helps! :)

Sun_Protection_Policy.doc

Thank you

Once again pointed me in the right direction.

The SunSmart Protection Policy Checklist is excellent.

Until next time!

Julie(a deputy)

My daughter reminded me last week that most sunscreens take AT LEAST 30 minutes to become effective. I have seen one advertised recently I think it was Nivea, which is effective immediately, might be worth letting parents / staff know this.

Also sunscreen has a shelf life, their effectiveness is reduced over time, so don't use last years supply. I actually use "old" sunscreen for "oiling" dry playdough, the children love kneading and squeezing it all in and some smell lovely, like bubblegum :D

We ask for permission to apply preschool provided and/or parents provided sunscreen, and check for allergies. This is done when children 1st register with us and reviewed each summer, ie we ask parents if info is still correct, but don't have to worry about getting signatures every year.

Peggy

My daughter reminded me last week that most sunscreens take AT LEAST 30 minutes to become effective.  I have seen one advertised recently I think it was Nivea, which is effective immediately, might be worth letting parents / staff know this.

Also sunscreen has a shelf life, their effectiveness is reduced over time, so don't use last years supply.  I actually use "old" sunscreen for "oiling" dry playdough, the children love kneading and squeezing it all in and some smell lovely, like bubblegum :D

We ask for permission to apply preschool provided and/or parents provided sunscreen, and check for allergies. This is done when children 1st register with us and reviewed each summer, ie we ask parents if info is still correct, but don't have to worry about getting signatures every year.

Peggy

56168[/snapback]

We are similar in our setting (both sessional and full day care) we provide a factor 40 suncream, asking children who are only sessional to have cream applied before arriving. We also request for children who are alergic to this cream to bring their own with a permission slip

We used to at one time have a box full of all different creams to aplly, at least 25, it was a nightmare

hi julia,

we have children from 6 months to five years, my manager usually sends out a letter informing parents to bring in their own sun cream, as i work in the 3 to 5 years room we usually have a box and put all the childrens sun cream in their, and we ask the parent to clearly label their childs cream, five minutes before their outside play we have two staff members to supervise the children and we encourage the children to put on their own sun cream giving a bit of support when needed as suncreams can work out costly and as you have mentioned some children do have allergies to some sun creams.

As above..parents to put sun cream on before coming and we supply hats to wear outside so All children AND staff have to wear a hat outdoors. Children love to see my lovely big sunhat with flowers on!! :D

a child from our setting reacted badly to suncream applied by a parent last weekend. She had used the same cream for 3 or 4 days before the child reacted and needed medical treatment for the reaction, so be aware reaction can happen even if the cream has been used before. this was one for children and for sensivive skins.

Inge

Funnily enough Inge, slightly different I know, but when my daughter was born, I used Sensitive fabric softener to add when I washed our clothes as she has dry skin. Turned out we were both allergic to it, so I don't always believe in using sensitive stuff! You still have to be careful! :o

Being the sometimes cynical person that I am, I never always believe parents who say they have put suncream on before coming to preschool ( shame on me). my cynicism has been endorsed by the fact that a parent when asked says "yes, I've put on cream" only for the child to tell me later, they haven't had any. Or worse scenario, the child actually gets sunburn because I believed he/she was covered.

My point being, during summer months, when we know we have planned outdoor play, we put suncream on all children, at our morning circle time.

The cost doen't matter compared to the risk of a child getting burnt whilst in our care.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)