Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Playdough

Just though I would share this with you, after spending years scrubbing saucpans and the like, I have found that if you mix playdough up flour, salt then add a squeeze of ready mix paint it not only adds great colour but something in the mix helps to make the playdough really pliable and soft.

Its so easy to do just add it with the water, im never cooking playdoudh again and its never sticky!

I do mine with flour, salt, cream of tartar, colour/scent, and then add boiling water. It mixes well and lasts an age. No cooking or mirowaving involved. :D

I do mine with flour, salt, cream of tartar, colour/scent, and then add boiling water. It mixes well and lasts an age. No cooking or mirowaving involved.  :D

55427[/snapback]

Rea

Can you let me know the quantities that you use? It's just that I had this recipe and I seem to have lost it. I am at home with my 4 year old who has scarlet fever (for the second time in 2 months) and I am just thinking what we can do today (in between long overdue paperwork lol)

Sue

2 cups flour, 1 cup salt, 2 tablespoons cream of tartar, one cup boiling water (more if necessary) add colour/scent at this stage too. Keep mixing, it does tend to give the impression it will never work but it suddenly comes together.(I usually end up adding water then flour then more water :o ) Use rubber gloves and leave to cool for a bit. Hope your day turns out ok. :D

I use a sightly different recipe in that I also add 2 tablespoon oil and 4tsp cream of tartar. Since this is the most expensive ingredient, Id be very intersted to know if it keeps as well with less?

I aslo use the add boiing water method, it means the chidlren can pretty much do it all themselves except for the last bit and its a heap easier stirring fro ages on the cooker.

Does anyone know where you can buy cream of tartar in larger quantities than the usual supermarket tub?

We use the same recipe as you, Mundia :D - Rea's recipe uses 4 tablespoons of cream of tartar, so that's more than us :o

We find a pot of cream of tartar from Tescos lasts quite a long time - I doubt if you could get larger pots.

searching for larger pots myself... even cash and carry do not do them when asked no demand was the reply!! Can get baking powder & bicarb in large tubs but not cream of tartar

get salt, there in 12.5 kg bags, much cheaper but flour cheaper in supermarket!!

Inge

Strangely enough it seems you can buy it in 1lb bags from Amazon.com (though not Amazon.co.uk - I've never bought from the American Amazon so I don't know how well they export to the UK).

They've come a long way from being a mere bookseller haven't they? :o

You can find it here

2 cups flour, 1 cup salt, 2 tablespoons cream of tartar, one cup boiling water (more if necessary) add colour/scent at this stage too. Keep mixing, it does tend to give the impression it will never work but it suddenly comes together.(I usually end up adding water then flour then more water  :o ) Use rubber gloves and leave to cool for a bit. Hope your day turns out ok.  :D

55429[/snapback]

I have made it without Cream of Tartar and it has always been a disaster! xD it lasts a day and then goes very sticky and unusable :(

The boiling water method is a god send! I use to hate scraping the saucepan and found it very hard to mix towards the end!

We had Spearmint Essential oil added today :D

I'm very stingy and only add 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar. Used to use more but have not noticed an obvious difference---other than the pot lasts longer and dough costs less!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)