Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A mask question.

louby loo

Do you wear masks at drop off/collection? Do you expect parents to wear them?

I'm not talking about during the day with the children- as I think this is very much personal choice and I'm happy for staff to do what ever makes them feel safe.

But at the parent points.  We collect from car-part so fully outside and as the children are all walkers so we have very minimum contact as such, at collection we sort of chuck them out the door as parents arrive - possibly more of a contact point than drop off.

Part of me can't really see the point of masks at these times (with this fully walking age group)  as we've just spent a morning with their child anyway. HOWEVER I do want to show parents this is a serious situation and I'm contemplating masks and visors at this times (so more about virtual signalling rather than an actual need really)

What do others do?  I'm  even contemplating saying our insurance stated we need to use them now.

We have just been told by our committee that they would like us to wear masks at drop off and pick up.  I wasn't sure to begin with as like you, couldn't see the point as almost all our children walk by themselves into pre-school. BUT as you pointed out it does show the parents this is a serious situation,! we have visors and masks. I have decided to wear a visor so at least the children can still see my welcoming smiley face!!!! LOL  We have also told all our parents to wear masks at pick up and drop off. 

3 minutes ago, DebBrad said:

We have just been told by our committee that they would like us to wear masks at drop off and pick up.  I wasn't sure to begin with as like you, couldn't see the point as almost all our children walk by themselves into pre-school. BUT as you pointed out it does show the parents this is a serious situation,! we have visors and masks. I have decided to wear a visor so at least the children can still see my welcoming smiley face!!!! LOL  We have also told all our parents to wear masks at pick up and drop off. 

I made the staff wear FFP2 masks this morning they wanted to wear their own pretty ones.... I pointed out we mean business today  😂

I think I shall ask parents to start wearing them.

We are on a school site that asked parents to wear them so we followed suit, staff also wear them at drop off/collection mainly because some children can need close contact handover. Face shields are worn for nappy changing and they have been given the choice to wear them generally in the setting if they want to.

• Like 1

since all schools were asking parents to wear masks at drop off and pick ups a while before Christmas, we asked our parents to as well. They have to walk from the back of the building to the front and line up around the inside of our front area in 2m spots which we marked on our railings with tape. I am now wearing a mask indoors at all times since returning on Monday, some of my co workers are too.

We ask parents to wear masks at drop-off/collection, and to stay well back wherever possible. Many of us are wearing masks in the setting since returning on Monday as well.

Just fyi to everyone - face shields/visors don't really do anything unfortunately! They're meant to be worn in combination with a mask, to protect your eyes from someone coughing/spitting/etc directly in your face (eg in a medical situation, or where a child was ill). They don't prevent droplet spread like masks do, and so don't actually offer any real protection to you or to anyone else :( just saying as I'm always worried people will end up with a false sense of security from visors (including some of the staff in my setting who wear them, even though I've mentioned this to them lol)