Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

help needed - confused over isolating.

blondie

a member of staff has met with a family member (brother ) over half term who has now been diagnosed with covid. Member of staff hasn't returned to work and and he says he has no symptoms but is waiting for covid test. If this is negative is he ok to return to work? 

confusion is because it says this and worry that he might not have yet developed symptoms but still has time to (if that makes sense) as not 14 days yet.

Stay at home for 14 days and follow the self-isolation guidance below. Do not go to work, school, or public areas, and do not use public transport or taxis.

You are at risk of developing COVID-19 for the next 14 days. Since we now know that people can become infectious up to 2 days before symptoms begin, you could spread the disease to others if you do not go into self-isolation.

Even if you never develop symptoms, you can still be infected and pass the virus on without knowing it.

You should not arrange for testing unless you develop symptoms of COVID-19. The most important symptoms are: a new continuous cough, a high temperature, a loss of, or change in, your normal sense of taste or smell (anosmia).

If you do not have symptoms of COVID-19, other people in your household do not need to self-isolate at home with you.

It's so confusing isnt it. My son started feeling ill on Thursday- was tested Sunday and told he was positive yesterday. I say he felt ill because he had none of the symptoms. No cough, temp but has since yesterday saying that everything he is eating tastes of aniseed! He wouldn't have got himself tested but someone he was with the weekend before had tested positive., so with him feeling ill- we thought it best to get it checked. We are now all isolating- but then he lives with us - he met with 4 friends on the Sat and by the following Sunday 3 out of the 4 had tested positive, with one waiting on results. If your staff member has no symptoms why is he having a test?  

Interestingly my son wasn't contacted by track and trace as a contact and its now been over 24 hours since he received his results and has not been asked for his contact details. 

It is my understanding (having read through the 'guidance' as my daughter was in contact with someone) if you haven't been contacted by track and trace, then you should carry on as normal but just be extra careful with social distancing etc. 

If T&T contact you, you must self-isolate until the date they tell you, whether you have a negative test or not. If you develop symptoms, then you can then go for a test. 

My daughter was in contact with someone on the Tuesday but we weren't called by T&T until the following Monday even though they'd been given her details on the Friday! 

Definitely don't rely on Track and Trace.  My sister was contacted by them and asked to self-isolate for 14 days from the 6th September.  She received the text from Track and Trace on 16th September!  In those 10 days she had been to work in a high school, had been to friends' houses and had family over to her house.  Luckily she didn't develop symptoms so assumes she was clear.

• Like 1

this is what I asked him - I think people are finding it so confusing. Told him he needs to isolate for 14 days from when he last saw his brother and unless he gets symptoms to not go for a test. He found out through his brother texting him and has yet to hear from Track and Trace.

Thank you everyone.