Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sticky Backed Plastic

I am having one of my frequent nights of not being able to sleep, so to kill some time, decided to make my children's daily contact books, ready to use after Easter (don't ask me why 3:30 in the morning was a good time to start that!!).

I've made all the name labels and when I went shopping earlier to get the books, thought I would use stickers for the labels. Then I had a brainwave and thought using the computer to make labels and then sticking them on with glue and sticky backed plastic would save money, which it did :D .

But what a palaver it's actually turning out to be :o ! The plastic keeps sticking to itself and thats not to mention the air bubbles that get trapped :( . So my idea to have nice, presentable contact books has gone wrong! Some of them look really awful and as much as I would like to try and do them again without the plastic sticking to itself and without the air bubbles, I'm worried I'll run out of books and patience!

I think the art of using sticky backed plastic should be taught as part of childcare courses! Or maybe, someone could invent a lamenating machine that just does books. Now there's an idea... xD

Anyway, sorry about that, just wanted to let off a bit of steam and now feel much better!

Oh, Loopylou,

Get a needle or pin and make tiny holes where the air bubbles are and then rub with your finger. They should come out!!!!

The best trick with it is not to stay up for most of the night!!!! No seriously, if you start at the top, just pulling down a small piece of the backing - make sure you have it square, then slowly pull the paper down and use ruler to drag over, so the dreaded air bubbles aren't there.

I guess (hopefully) you're still in bed now and will be refreshed later to try again - if you've got any paper left! :D

I hope the parents appreciate and use them. :o I do know where your coming from with regards to night ( or should I say early morning) work. I find there is a strange kind of calm ( normally) when working at these unusual hours.

Peggy

You have made me laugh loopylou. i am a nightmare with the stuff i seem to get the stuff stuck to everything but the actual item i am trying to cover!! I am not allowed near it now in our classroom - our nursery nurse has perfected the art to a T and so it her now her domain - she loves it can't imagine why!!!!!

Aww I can just picture the scene! I did it once when I was at school and decided that instead of posters or wrapping paper I'd do sticky back plastic! Never again! It looked dreadful and I tried so hard!

I gave up after 1 disasterous book.

Aww thanks for your replies! Glad I'm not the only one who cannot seem to get to grips with it!!

I got up at 1:00pm today (I'm on holiday!!!) and decided that I would have another look a bit later! Feeling much better now, thanks Inge! :D

Have had a few days away and now feel ready to tackle the sticky plastic business again! Have also decided to, in future, to delegate this awful job to someone who can do it without bubbles etc!

Hurrah! Have finally completed the terrible task of covering all my children's daily contact books! I am very excited because they look quite good! Still couldn't get rid of bubbles completely, but I think I did quite a good job!! Hurrah can now rest for the rest of the holidays! :D

Clare