Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Computers in Early Years

Hi I'm just wondering if any settings still use desk top computers. We have one in our setting which is getting old, the children hardly use it has it does not have a touch screen and they struggle with using a mouse. Is it time to let old desk top computers die or do people think they still have a place in Early Years Settings?

I have come to the conclusion that i have to embrace some technology but in my setting the teachers have tablets and use them with the children in order to improve their knowledge and understanding of the world ...so for instance taking a photo to show their parents or looking up what sort of ladybird we've found, playing nursery rhymes in different languages or listening to the noise a siren makes (fire engines DO NOT go nee-naw nee-naw!!!!!:D) I agree that PC's are no longer used in most settings including schools and tablets are the way to go if you choose to use them.. I think the trick is to use them as a tool not an entertainment,

• Like 2

We use a laptop in the same way as Finleysmaid - as a source of information.  We haven't used a computer with children's games or software for several years now.  In order to make assessments, we send out a questionnaire to parents in the term before children go to school, asking how they use technology at home. (We make the point that if children aren't using computers, tablets, smartphones etc at home, that's absolutely fine.)  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stargrower said:

We use a laptop in the same way as Finleysmaid - as a source of information.  We haven't used a computer with children's games or software for several years now.  In order to make assessments, we send out a questionnaire to parents in the term before children go to school, asking how they use technology at home. (We make the point that if children aren't using computers, tablets, smartphones etc at home, that's absolutely fine.)  

Would you be able to share the questionnaire that you send out to parents please? I would be very interested in this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)