Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

best fit

Im getting conflicting assesments in my setting - can anyone clarify if, when assessing best fit against EY outcomes / DM,  you would select the band where children are currently working (ie they are emerging / developing) or where they are secure?

so IF you were to highlight the statements in each band - Would you select best fit as the band with all of them highlighted or the next band on where you  just one or two statements highlighted ?  I want to go with the latter as this is to me the 'best fit' for where the child is working now....but should I be thinking its the best fit for where the child is secure now??

My personal view is to take a step back from highlighting statements and instead consider the band as a whole. Do the same for both age bands you are considering and ask yourself which more greatly reflects what the child is doing now. In your scenario, I'd expect it to be more likely the higher band.

I think the other point to make is that everyone is doing this in their own interpretive way. It's important that you are consistent in your interpretation across your staff. 

One final thought is that the only statutory assessment is the EYFSP (currently) and so whatever tracking/assessment you use is there to support your future teaching. 

• Like 1

yes thanks...I am fighting a  battle against the highlighting in our setting!   I have staff assessing lower simply because they don't have any highlighting in a higher band despite knowing that the child is working well at that higher level.

Looking, reflecting and making the judgement the way you describe is much like i've been doing it - personally I think its so much simpler and quicker! 

I think you are right - I will try to provide some clarification for making judgements so we are all working to the same system.

Thank you

• Like 1

What Mundia said...Development matters is there to support the big picture of where the child is towards the ELGs. You need to know what the overarching skills are, that the child needs to develop by the end of the phase, and then know what it is they are able to do now and what you are going to do to fill in the bit of the journey you have them for.

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)